Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Honey Glazed Ribs...

Egg Juju
Egg Juju Posts: 658
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Work and life in general has been crazy the past couple months. It is normal for me this time of year, but I decided it was time to take a Saturday and make some Q. I invited a few friends and they brought the sides. I was making ribs-- it had been too long. It also gave me an opportunity to try the new eggcesory I bought a few weeks ago. I have a rib rack and it would have worked even though it would have been a little cramped. The rack worked well, the ribs were delicious, the sides were great, and the company was the best part. I used Adam Perry Lang's recipe from Serious Barbecue as a guidline, but I veered off the path here and there. If you follow his recipe you will have great results.

4 racks of loin back ribs...
BB.jpg

racks cut in half, slathered, seasoned, and arranged on the 3 tier...
EE.jpg

on the egg and ready to go...
FF.jpg

after about 2 hours...
HH.jpg

II.jpg

foiling the ribs and honey mixture...
JJ.jpg

they are almost like candy at this stage...
LL.jpg

Done...
MM.jpg

OO.jpg

PPP.jpg

The missus made my favorite cake... German's Chocolate
RR.jpg

RRR.jpg

It was a really great day capped off with good food and great friends. The wife and I were both exhausted, but it was worth it.
Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com

Comments

• Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    The ribs look great! I have some to cook today, why do I always get eggcited about a rib cook? The cake also looks to die for.
  • nuynai
    nuynai Posts: 101
    Looks like you hit it right on. What temp did you do them at.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    What an outstanding meal.
    Boy you did it right....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ribs look great. Cake looks awesome!
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • Beautiful!
    ? Did the ribs get done evenly one the 3 layers?
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Looks like a great day was had by all, and that's just the main course and the desert. ;)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

WOW! Fantastic! The ribs, the cake , the web site!

love0029.gif love0029.gif love0029.gif love0029.gif love0029.gif love0029.gif love0029.gif love0029.giflove0029.giflove0029.giflove0029.giflove0029.giflove0029.giflove0029.gif

Thank you for sharing with us CC! I found the full details for the ribs on your web site and have bookmarked for future exploration. Great job!

Blair

• Q'in must be like riding a bike. You didn't look like you forgot a thing!! Well done.
  • TBQue
    TBQue Posts: 103
    Do I see yellow mustard on those ribs? I have just started doing that on my ribs and pork butts and what a difference?!?! I love how the flavor is subtle and and the mustard "goes away". Helps the rub stick better too. Looks great, I think I might make some ribs later today.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Wow! Wonderful pix and a great tutorial! Nice website too! Gonna try this soon! 8 - ),,,
  • Derby City Egghead wrote:
    I used Adam Perry Lang's recipe from Serious Barbecue as a guidline, but I veered off the path here and there. If you follow his recipe you will have great results.

Regarding his mustard moisturizer, what did you do different?

I did a blind taste test just to see what the wife liked best. I did one rack with regular yellow mustard and another rack using his recipe for the mustard moisturizer (I also added more worchestire sauce and apple cider vinegar than what the recipe called for). Both racks had the same rub and same BBQ sauce.

The wife chose the ribs with mustard moisturizer three straight plates, so I've been doing it that way ever since. I'll admit, I couldn't taste much difference.

I've also started putting the first slather of it one the night before. When I did that, I seemed to notice a little more zing.
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Looks like a great cook, and the cake is really pretty! I'm sure everyone enjoyed those juicy reibs.Thanks for sharing, Randy
  • GREAT cook AND photos!
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Egg Juju
    I cooked them at 275... I went something like 2 1.5 .75 on times.
  • Egg Juju
    Desert Oasis Woman wrote:
    Beautiful!
    ? Did the ribs get done evenly one the 3 layers?

Yes and no. Yes the 3 tier cooked pretty even, but I noticed that the racks were not the same thickness from rack to rack. So the ribs in the thicker slabs were spot on and the rib slabs that were thinner were a skoash drier, but still quite tasty.

I will say the one thing I did notice about cooking them this way was a significant reduction in air flow. I am sure I will go back to the rib rack for ribs. However, the 3-tier is a good addition and I look forward to doing a mess of chicken wings in the near future. :lol:
  • Egg Juju
    TBQue wrote:
    Do I see yellow mustard on those ribs? I have just started doing that on my ribs and pork butts and what a difference?!?! I love how the flavor is subtle and and the mustard "goes away". Helps the rub stick better too. Looks great, I think I might make some ribs later today.

Yes... its a mix of yellow mustard, cider vinegar, and water. Usually Worcestershire too... but thats another story.
  • Egg Juju
    KC Transplant wrote:
    Derby City Egghead wrote:
    I used Adam Perry Lang's recipe from Serious Barbecue as a guidline, but I veered off the path here and there. If you follow his recipe you will have great results.

Regarding his mustard moisturizer, what did you do different?

I did a blind taste test just to see what the wife liked best. I did one rack with regular yellow mustard and another rack using his recipe for the mustard moisturizer (I also added more worchestire sauce and apple cider vinegar than what the recipe called for). Both racks had the same rub and same BBQ sauce.

The wife chose the ribs with mustard moisturizer three straight plates, so I've been doing it that way ever since. I'll admit, I couldn't taste much difference.

I've also started putting the first slather of it one the night before. When I did that, I seemed to notice a little more zing.

I usually amp up the worcestershire and cider vinegar and cut back on the water. However, I had bought some "organic" worcestershire sauce a few months ago and it was chunky. I think thats a bad thing when it comes to worcestershire so I tossed it. :lol: I was too far along to fetch more so this version was just mustard, cider vinegar, and water. I like mine to be a little thicker than his recipe so I add the water a little at a time until I get where I am going.

I really like his recipes, but almost always swerve on and off his path. While I am certain he believes in the things he does, and who am I to say he is wrong, I find that I get the results I like with a little less mess and a lot less work. :)
  • Yum!

The ribs look wonderfully juicy

I'm a big fan of german chocolate cake too :P