Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which Tel Tru thermometer to buy?

Pharmeggist
Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi I am wanting to replace my BGE dome thermometer with the Tel Tru thermometer.

They have one that measures 150 to 750 and one that measure 200-1000 degrees.

Most often I cook at the 250 or 350 degree range. However, cooking pizza's I cook higher. Question is if I get the 200/750 degree one am I going to get accurate readings at the 250 mark. Let me know if you have one and what you think about it.

Thanks in advance, Pharmeggist

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    BGEs come with tel tru thermometers now. Check with your dealer or Atl. You can buy one from them.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    you will be checking them in boiling water, if they are close in boiling water, either will be fine. stem length is more important with those gages, the 2.5 inch is off by a little over 10 percent. i use both, mainly because i cook jerkey around 150, and pizza way above 750 ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Tel Tru recently started manufacturing a Big Green Egg Thermometer, Model TP. Range is 150-750 with a stem length of 3". I believe they run around $28.

I've only used it once, did 4 slabs of spares with the AR in the rain.

Your BGE dealer should be able to hook you up.

008-10.jpg
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• MusicMan78
    MusicMan78 Posts: 182
    my dealers here are slow on getting me product so I contacted Tel Tru about getting the new style thermometer from them directly and this is what I received.

To: info@teltru.com

I have recently noticed that the new Big Green Egg units are shipping with a new Tel-Tru dome thermometer that has the BGE logo on them. Are these available for purchase directly from your website? Or will you offer the unit without the BGE logo? Presently you only offer the 5" stem (model LT225R) and the newer units are shorter. Thanks for any information you can provide.

David

Mary Lou Casanzio

Dear David,

Thank you for your e-mail message. These thermometers are available through Big Green Egg retailers. The future offering of a model LT225R, 3 1/2" stem length, with Tel-Tru logo dial will be available on the Tel-Tru website in late Spring.

Have a good weekend.

Best regards,

Mary Lou Casanzio, Inside Sales Supervisor
  • Bluecrab3
    Bluecrab3 Posts: 328
    Mine gives supurb readings at the lower temps. I also had to purchase a 2" model (add 15% to temp) for cooking large turkeys, etc where the longer probe would jam into the dinner.
  • The new Tel-Tru therm made for BGE is a big improvement over the old BGE stock unit, IMO. My local dealer has them and I've bough 2, 1 for a back up.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    To answer your question, the 200/750 degree model works just fine for everything you have mentioned.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I opted for 3 of the 200 to 1,000 models. Why? Thermaworks suggests that you don't top out. Seeing that I do like to sear in the 700 to 725 range then the 750 would be chancing a red line condition. OTOH my 1,000 is not remotely threatened.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Pharmeggist
    Thanks for the advice... I believe that has convinced me :)
  • Pharmeggist
    I appreciated all of the feedback.
    I went ahead and purchased 3 Tel Tru thermometers 200/1000. 2 of them have the 5 inch stem... one for the Large & one for the small BGE. I bought the 2.5 inch stem one for the mini after looking at the naked whiz website!

Happy Egging, Pharmeggist
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Thanks for the info. That's just what I've been waiting for.