Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What would the big green egg forum do?

NoleC5
NoleC5 Posts: 176
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, I know there's tons of threads on this and I may have asked in the past...but in a bit of a time crunch.

Wife and I are going to spend a week at the beach in Ocean Isle, NC and I'd really like to plan some meals so we don't eat out A's much (renting a house on the beach). In any event, it sounds like the wifey might be open to me getting a mini egg so that we can grill out rather easily while we are there.

I've been leaning towards a small to complent my LBGE but not sure if it's in the budget at the moment. What are tour thoughts.....go ahead and get the mini or hold off and be patient for a small?

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Mini egg runs roughly $300?

Small egg runs roughly $425?

Dinner for 2 while on vacation runs roughly $60?

Looks like easy math to me. ;) The small IMO is a better 2nd egg then the mini. The mini is more of a 3rd or 4th egg. :laugh:
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Hold off! Of my 4 eggs my small is my favorite, go-to, versatile workhorse. While my mini is OK and serves the need you described buying it now might prolong the day until you save enough more to add a small. TRUST ME - it will be worth the wait!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Tony I have the lrg, sm, mini BGE and I use the small more than any of them. I would wait. Also, can you have a charcoal grill at the rental house? Check that before any decisions....but we do love our mini when camping & tailgating.....BTW

GO CANES!!!!!!!!!!!
  • NoleC5
    Thanks guys!! I honestly haven't really had a chance to compare the two in person. Does the small travel pretty well/easily?
  • NoleC5
    Well, that is a good question about the charcoal grill. This is actually a family friends house that they let us have (usually off season) for free :-). We've been there before and if I remember correctly, you cant have a charcoal grill on any of the back decks (wood). We used a small gaser out on the driveway in the past....but I guess I need to double check on this before making a decision.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    yes - the small only weighs 65 pounds and is easy to move around - even more so when you knock it down for travel by removing the fire ring and fire box - just remember to take them! :laugh:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    You can make a carrier for the small pretty easy that lets two people tote it around pretty easy and also ride without having to remove the guts. If you move it much a carrier is well worth it.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    When we can't take our BGE's on vacation I will cook ribs, pulled pork, etc ahead of time and freeze or refrigerate and take them on the trip...easy peasy...anyway have a great time... ;)B)
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    My policy is I max out the approval my wife grants. If she says I can get a small, I wouldn't purchase a mini. That just makes getting the small later a problem. So small first, then mini.

Now that is just the economics of it, but I still would recommend the small over the mini. My mini gets hotter, faster than my small, but the majority of my cooks are on the small because it has the room I need, and is a fuel miser. I dont travel with eggs (weber kettles are fine for that for me), but the small would travel just fine.
  • Get the small and tell her it is the mini.

Maybe there is a downside I'm not seeing to this plan, I don't know.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    If you were leaning towards a small, wait for the small. You can grill on anything for week; you don't need a mini. One of the times we went to Hilton Head, I went to Wal*Mart and bought a bag of lump and a cheapo charcoal grill. We made out just fine:

dhhl9.jpg

dhhl5.jpg
    The Naked Whiz
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    I was at Ocean Iles Beach a few weeks ago with some friends golfing. My friend has place on the Ocean next door to the voice of NASCAR. My Canadian friend went for a swim. LOL.

I went the the grocery store across the bridge from the Island at the major intersection. I tell you what. I bought some ribeyes on sale there for cheap and damned if they weren't the best ribeyes I've had in ages. Great marbling and the flavour was insane. Absolutely amazing. Not done on an EGG, but very good.

Bring your clubs if you like to golf as there are some amazing courses. Also Calabash, NC is just down the road and Calabash style sea food (fried) is great and is famous.

Enjoy the beach. Wish I could snag a small egg. Would be sweet.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    large, small and mini here. hold out for the small.
  • NoleC5
    Nice idea whiz! Might just have to go this route...and remember to bring my thermapen! I called one spot today and they wanted $540 for a small...may just have to be patient and shop around.
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Hold out for the small. It travels good.
  • We bought a $30 Weber in Hawaii :)

LOVE our new Small BGE from Keith's Ace Hardware :woohoo:

Still waiting to WIN a Mini BGE :whistle:

In other words: GO FOR THE SMALL NOW B)