Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table so far...any suggestions?

Options
Jerzee
Jerzee Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have my Egg in it's box, have my Thermapen, ET-732, and lots of goodies from CGS (Adj Rig, Extender, Spider, slide ext. etc) lots of lump and hardwood chunks ready to be used.

All that's left is to finish off my table. Here's what I have so far. I plan to put a tile countertop on this week (father mentioned wood countertop soaking up meat juices and I agreed).

Here's the frame:
IMG_20110407_164026.jpg

I work for a large manufacturing facility as a designer/programmer and have lots of metalworking machines at my disposal. I created an Ash Grate out of 16ga. stainless steel. I've read so many comments about what to put under the egg and possible fire hazards so I decided to go overboard (just bought this house in January - don't want to burn it down already).

This pan has 1 inch flanges bent up on 3 sides and a 1 inch flange bent down in front. The idea is that a dual layer of split firebrick will sit inside the pan and the pan will act as a heatsink, further dispersing heat and the vent holes will help with cooling. I left a 4inch X 4inch chimney right down the middle to help with airflow and cooling.

Does anyone know if this chimney will cause a problem? I plan on using the feet with the egg.

IMG_20110409_095137.jpg

IMG_20110409_095150.jpg

IMG_20110409_095229.jpg

IMG_20110409_110545.jpg

IMG_20110409_110556.jpg

Table is about 65 inches long, 34 inches deep, with a 1 inch thick countertop - 32 inches tall. From top of dual layer of firebrick to the countertop will be exactly 15 inches, spec for the Large.

The other half of the table I plan on enclosing in cedar siding, making a half shelf inside, and making some doors to close it off.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Anything I overlooked?

-Dan

Comments

• Manfred
    Manfred Posts: 186
    Options
    It looks great ,but My question is Looking at the wheels and at the othr end where you will be picking it up and moving it. Dosen't give you much room for your leg hitting that 2x4 brace. Are you going to come with another type of handle that will give you the clearance you will need? just my 2 cents happy egging.
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    Very classy Handle you call yourself...
  • G Fitz
    G Fitz Posts: 16
    Options
    Looks great so far. You will not have any heat problems with that setup.

Granite makes a nice top.
    tablefeetweb.jpg
  • Jerzee
    Options
    @Manfred: I'm going to put a handle (large diameter stainless bar) on the non-wheel end for moving which will double as a towel bar.

@Slotmercenary: Thanks! When picking a name I was trying to think of the classiest name I could and had a list of three but alas, Slotmercenary was already taken as we can see. After that, it was a choice between fckvwls and HoleSoldierForHire. The shorter name won out. :P

@G: That's what I'm hoping! As for the granite, a 5'x3' piece can go for a few hundred so while I would love granite, my wallet says use floor tile I already have in the garage. :whistle:
  • OMG Eggs
    OMG Eggs Posts: 118
    Options
    I made my table top with concrete. You just have to make a mold and pour. I was thinking about granite, but I priced that out around $300, whereas the concert was about $80 including tools and supplies. It was super easy and looks awesome. I posted some pictures in the table section back in September or October.
  • Manfred
    Manfred Posts: 186
    Options
    Sound you got all to thought out good luck. I am in the planing stage of building an out door kitchen.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    Wheels on the front. I move my table every week to sweep, etc.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Jerzee
    Options
    @OMG: I searched for your table posts and found some pics. It looks fantastic! Looks like I have another option for a counter top. :)

@Manfred: The planning stage is half the fun, huh? It's easy to get carried away though. Please post up some pics, would love to see your plans.

@thebtls: Good point about the wheels. I went out again later today to try moving it around and it's not exactly light. Add in a 140lb. egg, a countertop, and all the accessories plus the sides of the cabinet area, and this thing is going to be very heavy. I think you're right about wheels.

Thanks for the input all.

-Dan
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    i left my table top au naturel....it has soaked up gallons of goo.... adds to the water repellence ...lol.... has weathered to a nice natural grey color.... i'm sure many people find natural wood does not fit their decor... which i certainly appreciate... it depends on the style of your home and many other factors too.... ( see my pic of table on the naked whiz's site made from scrap wood )..... under ranger ray..... 20 years as a park ranger.... forced me into a rustic style.... i wanted to be a ceramic and chrome 80's yuppie... but they forced me into being otherwise.. they told me i had an image to maintain.... even off duty.....lol.....rr( do i have a law suit?)....
  • ranger ray
    Options
    i have a pal in the granite business...... i think i'm gonna go with it..... i just have to wait till he gets some green colored granite....... yours is looking great!!!! do you know how granite holds up outdoors( unprotected from the elements, in a cold environment?)...... thanks! ray
  • ranger ray
    Options
    thanks for the tip.!!!!! you;re right!... i know it's easy to do ..... thanks for the wake up slap.. as soon as the weather get warm her( maybe never) i'm gonna give it a shot.... thanks! again.... rev.