Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Direct cook chicken trouble

IQthere4iam
IQthere4iam Posts: 106
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I seem to be having some issues in direct cooking chicken wings.

Everytime I cook them I seem to char/burn the BBQ sauce on the wings. Is there a way to avoid this without cooking them indirect? I like them crispy and the sauce cooked on to them and not suaced when taken off, but not a chard flakey mess. I cooked lemon pepper thighs at the same time last night and they came out perfect.

Is that just the nature of BBQ sauced wings

Process for wings is I have been using a rub on them. Put them on the grill and let them get halfway or more done then start basting them with bbq sauce.

ADVICE????

IMG_0264.JPG

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Most BBQ sauces tend to have lots of sugar in them that will burn easily. I'd suggest cooking them without the sauce until just about finished, take them off, baste with your sauce and then throw them back on for the last minute or two of cooking keeping a close eye on them to make sure they don't burn.

That or raise them up higher with another grate. That might be the easier way.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    cook the wings til they are done, then sauce and cook the sauce to your liking, might only take 5 minutes, i dont worry about overcooking the wings a little, ill bring them up into the high 190's internal temp and the are still good
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • IQthere4iam
    Sounds simple enough, why didnt I think of that.

Thanks
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Most sauces have lots of sugar, as do most rubs. The sugar chars at 350. I've measured the temp at the center of a raised grid with a direct fire. The temp was 350 and more in the center, even w. a dome of 250. So, its really easy to burn sugar. So, pre-heat the sauce, and brush on just minutes before removing. Or, switch to a different sauce that is more vinegary than sweet.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    You could also change your setup to indirect. Cook at 350-400 for 45 min - 1 hr, then sauce wait 15 minutes, then sauce again.

Platesetter legs up with an elevated drip pan on top of the platesetter works well to catch fat drippings and sauce.
    023-3.jpg
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Good suggestions here already. I prefer doing wings raised direct as well, and try to get a good foot between the coals and the wings. So for me that means lump just below the firebowl (not ring, bowl) and TJV's adjustable rib with a grid on top.

I also wait til the wings are completely cooked, remove them to a bowl with my sauce, flip them around in the bowl until coated, then return to the grill for maybe 5 minutes to cook the sauce on.

Good luck next time!
  • IQthere4iam
    XYRN: I was afraid the wings would come out slimey like a beer can chicken if I did them indirect. BUT DAMN THEM LOOK GOOD!!!!!

I see there are lots of ways, guess ill need to try and few and find what works best for me ...

Thanks everyone
    Egg'on....
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    I do what Brad said! :)
    I measure internal temps and try to get 200* or so. They are crispy and juicy that way.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Here's how I do mine. I got the grill extender as a gift for Christmas. I place that on the grate, no drip pan or anything below it. It raises it up to the level of the felt and I have never had to worry about flare ups burning my wings.

IMAG0063.jpg

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    all sauce will eventually blacken, even indirect. ribs tyurn black, believe it or not, because we are literally making charcoal out of the sugar in them. no oxygen, low temp, long time. that carbonizes wood and anything else with lots of carbon.

yours is a case of the sugary sauce being exposed to high heat directly though.

two things. cook the chicken through almost entirely (virtually impossible to overcook wings and drumettes), then sauce and cook until the sauce is how you like it.

other thing is to raise your chicken. you can still go direct, but lift it to the level of the rim with bricks or a raised grid. that lessens the brunt of the radiant heat from the coals. you can also drop dome temps to 400 or so.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • MemphisQue
    MemphisQue Posts: 610
    I agree with previous posts. The sugars in the BBQ sauce do not take long under direct heat to burn. I would get the wings to the point where they are fully cooked or just about fully cooked, then shut the egg down, sauce them and put back on for 2-4 minutes. That will be enough to heat the sauce without burning it.
  • EmandM'sDad
    EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
    As usual, you said what I was thinkin'
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    You are doing them raised direct right?