Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bacon, ABT's,AND A NEW TOOL

Options
eggor
eggor Posts: 777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
smokedbacon_1.jpg
<p />well I forgot who posted about the potato soup, but there was a link to a thread on how to smoke bacon, so after a little searching and reading I decided to give it a shot. I used an indirect setup with a drip pan to keep the grease from burning in the fire. I used some JD chips for the smoke.[p]finishedbacon_1.jpg[p]if you haven’t tried this YOU SHOULD!!!! It was almost impossible to keep from eating it before using it for the ABT’s[p]finishedabtscropped_1.jpg[p]there are 20 ABTS in the rack and I used the pizza stone to keep them warm for a bout 45 minutes while on the counter. 10 of the ABT’s using 4 ounces of cream cheese, 5 strips of the chopped bacon, and 2 tsp of the Grilla Shaker. The other 10 got the same but using 2 tsp of the Cajun Shaker. The great part about the bacon being precooked is then you cook the peppers to your liking rather than the bacon. I prefer the fresh crispy peppers that are just starting to warm up rather than the soft cooked ones[p]I’ve never made this many ABT’s before and really didn’t know how much work it takes to put this together, but a fellow egger posted back a while to put the concoction in a plastic bag and clip off the corner and use it lick a pastry bag. That worked GREAT!! Made it a whole lot easier[p]theperfectabttool_1.jpg[p]but the one thing that I didn’t have a plan of attack was this little baby. After about 5 minutes using a knife trying to seed the peppers I started rummaging looking for an apple corer, grapefruit spoon, anything that would make this process faster. Well I did find an old unmatched spoon in one of the drawers so I headed off into the lab for the operation. Just a little work with a grinder. And tadaaa !!! completely deseeded and veined the peppers in about 20 second each. A Pepper Scooper, oh, wait a minute these are Atomic Buffalo Turds so that would make this a Pooper Scooper?

Comments

• ChrisC
    ChrisC Posts: 107
    Options
    eggor,[p]Great pics and new tool. Do you think that you will be doing a production run on the new grill extender / pepper holder?[p]Thanks,
    Chris

• eggor
    Options
    ChrisC,[p]I've gotten quite a few emails asking the same question. I have sent out requests for qoutes, it's just not feasable for me to do this in my garage. For everyone that is interested the price will depend on how many i have made. if your interested please email me by the end of the day tomorrow on what you are interested in, and how many. [p]When i get the quotes back i will let those interested know the price. [p]The shipping costs will vary but its about 10 to 15 bucks, if anyone knows a way to reduce this i would love to hear some ideas.[p]Scott

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    eggor,
    Your bacon looks excellent. What was your dome temp and how did you build your fire?

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    eggor, I found some little measuring scoops marked pinch, dash, and smidgen at Wally World. They work really good to clean out the peppers also. I like using the whole pepper as you do because you can really pack it full and just put a cap of bacon on it.

• eggor
    Options
    IMG_0361_1.jpg
    <p />Clay Q,[p]I guess i've mentioned this before but never posted a pic on how i light with the propane. just using the elcheapo bernzomatic torch head with some 5/8 soft copper tubing slid over the torch head. i can light from the top or the bottom and the flame won't go out. its a LOT cheaper to buy the propane than Mapp and the torch head is only 10 bucks compared to 40 for the mapp torch head. the copper is a buck or two for a couple feet.[p]As for the bacon, once the dome temp got to 200 tossed on the chips for smoke, added the setup with the the bacon. Let the temp get up to 275-300 and coast there. Took about an hour for the bacon to get done. Something you can try before cooking a meal. I understand that it freezes well according to... CWM, i believe?