Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Transporting Large Egg

Options
wallyjar
wallyjar Posts: 123
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picking up large demo egg after eggfest this weekend. Suggestions on how to pack in back of Jeep to get home safely would be appreciated

Comments

• Austin Egger
    Options
    I've traveled with my large the last 3 out of 4 weekends B) I have a full size Dodge Durango, so I take out the firebox, fire ring, and grate, so it is basically just the shell and load it up. I scatter out the rest of the components in my truck. I'm not sure if you will have a height restriction in your Jeep, so it will probably depend on that. I also put a cover over my egg once it is in my truck and tie it down with a thick rope at a couple of different places and angles. It really hasn't been bad at all.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Can you guesstimate heavy the emptied egg is? I was planning to take the small to Iguana Grill, but the large would give me more real estate.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    Options
    No need to guess - it's listed on the BGE site (http://www.biggreenegg.com/eggs_L.html) as 140 pounds.
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    Options
    They ship from BGE in a box, all the guts inside the base with cushioning material between the base and the firebox and between the base and the fire ring. The dome, of course, is not installed when it ships.

I would ensure there was some sort of dense cushion under the egg, stablize the internals, leave the dome installed, and strap it down so the whole thing doesn't move.

All that's left is find a temporary home for the DFWT, the ceramic cap, the grill, and the grate - all small stuff.
  • Austin Egger
    Options
    Hey Joan, with the components out, I would think it would be around 90 - 105. That is a complete guess. It is pretty easy for me and my wife to load it in my truck that way. I'm too nervous for her to do it with all of the components. :lol: