Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza - my way!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,895
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
IMG_00431.jpg
<p />To each his own, but this is the pizza and blueprint thereof that I've perfected over the last five years that we simply love. Variety is one thing but this is a kick butt winner in this home![p]Since you can't see all of the ingredients here is the blueprint.
We prefer thin crust and can buy an excellent crust locally so that is my only shortcut: [p]> crust (product is made by ROMA Pizza Works, St Louis, Mo.)
> moisten with 1 T of extra virgin olive oil
> 1.5 t chopped garlic, spread of course
> my pizza sauce made from scratch and frozen in individual bags
> small chopped pieces of one hickory smoked piece of bacon (2#
done at a time, stacked and frozen)
> 1/4 # crumbled/browned Italian sausage hit with fresh ground pepper
> a few crumbles of Feta cheese with basil & tomato
> 4 oz fresh Mozzarella cut thin with an egg slicer
> thin sliced green pepper pieces
> thin sliced sweet onion pieces
> freshly sliced pieces of Provolone cheese
> freshly grated Romano cheese
> one sliced fresh raw mushroom
> slices of stuffed green olives
> and finally topped off with grated Asiago cheese[p]Takes about 9 minutes at 500 and the crust will be honey brown. It really is a terrific pizza...in fact of everything I egg this is my wife's favorite.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    RRP,
    That is a gourmet pizza delight! Pizza on the egg sure is fun. Thanks for sharing your recipe- it's got me droolin.
    Clay

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    RRP,[p]Do you precook and freeze and individually seal sausage and other things for pizza too? That occured to me when you talked about your sauce, that may be a really good plan![p]Joe
  • RRP
    Options
    eggecutioner,
    yes and no - I mean I divide a 1# tube of Italian sausage in quarters, wrap with Saran wrap and a rubber band and then freeze, but then cook right before starting to assemble the pizza. As for the sauce when I make it a pot yields enought for 11 to 12 pizzas -so I bag those individually into 1/2 c quantities in those Ziplock half bags made for cookies. Also as I said I smoke 2 pounds of bacon at a time and then store them in a stack with each piece separated with a narrow strip of wax paper. All that prep time saves time and permits a better pizza without the hassle. Even as it is it takes me 1 solid hour to start cutting the fresh veggies, grating and cutting the cheeses, browning the meat and assembly - but I ever made it was in 55 minutes! LOL

• Phil
    Phil Posts: 26
    Options
    RRP,
    Wow, that looks great uncooked! Where's the finished product? I think your photo convenienced me to give this a try![p]Phil

• RRP
    Options
    Phil,
    Will do, but that will have to come from the laptop which is my photo connection not this fossil desktop. BTW do you have a plate sitter and a pizza stone - while you can do pizza several ways my reference to time and temp was using those.

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    RRP,
    So what do you think about freezing cooked sausage for the pizza... My wheels are just turnin thinking about dinner during the week. You know kids, school functions, sports, etc. If you could get everything individualized and pre cooked (like bacon) and in the freezer. That might cut some time. [p]Another question... [p]How far in advance can you make pizza dough? I know I'm gonna make 1-2 tomorrow. Could I make the dough tonight and let it slow proof in the fridge? If that is even possible.[p]Thanks...I believe I have been inspired.[p]J

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    eggecutioner,[p]Yes, you can proof overnight. In fact, many recipes call for the dough to proof overnight. I like Mr. Hyde's Pizza dough and that's an option which I usually use.
    [ul][li]Mr. Hyde's Pizza (Now Brutus!)[/ul]
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    Pakak,[p]I've got alot of learnin to do. Thanks, gonna go make dough now!!![p]J
  • Skychief
    Options
    RRP,
    Great looking pizza. I will try it next week.

• Ron,[p]That is one beautiful pizza!! Nuff said.[p]Dave

• RRP
    Options
    IMG_0046.jpg
    <p />Phil,
    Finished pizza as promised - of course it's history now but one more notch carved on the pizza peel!