Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri Tip

luis70458
luis70458 Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 3 lb beef Tri tip..

What is the best wat to do it???????

Comments

• Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    I have been cooking tri tip for most of my life and this is the best method/recipe I have found. Great, authentic Santa Maria flavor.

Santa Maria Style Tri-tip
    Richard Miller aka Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay, CA

2 (3 pound) tri-tip roasts
    Basting Sauce, recipe follows
    Seasoning Salt Mixture: recipe follows

Seasoning Salt Mixture:
    2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons white pepper
    2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    4 tablespoons granulated garlic
    6 tablespoons salt

Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl

Basting Sauce:
    ½ cup red wine vinegar
    ½ cup garlic-infused vegetable oil

Whisk together vinegar and oil in a small bowl.

Coat both sides of the tri-tip roasts with the seasoning mixture, rubbing it in as you would a dry rub. Let the seasoned tri-tip rest for at least 30 minutes at room temperature. Sear each side of the tri-tip at 600 to 700 degrees for 3 to 4 minutes each. Remove seared tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest while bringing the BGE temperature down to 350 to 400 degrees. During this cool down period I usually toss in a couple of oak chunks. Put tri-tip back in the BGE and cook to an internal temperature of 126 degrees for medium rare, basting with the sauce every 5 to 10 minutes. Remove tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest 15 minutes. Cut into ½” slices against the grain.

This recipe is from Foodnetwork.com’s website. It is titled “Santa Maria Style BBQ” Oakwood Grilled Tri-tip. It is as close to authentic Santa Maria tri-tip as I have been able to find.

I usually cook this on a Large BGE and find it take 1 hour and 10 minutes from the time I strike the match to taking the tri-tip out of the BGE.
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    I do mine direct at around 425/450 to an internal temp of 135.

TriTipCook3-1.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

SlicedTriTip.jpg
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    I can offer a couple of suggestions to consider.

I try not to cook higher than 350-375° so that the pink interior extends further to the outside. If it's hotter, there will be a more well-done layer toward the outside.

I love to sliver a clove oof garlic, poke knife holes all over the top of the meat, and stuff garlic slivers in each one. Three lbs. is a big one! you may need two cloves. Then I rub it with olive oil and sprinkle on a rub...the oil helps keep it in place.

I cook it raised direct, turn it after 10-12 minutes. Use a Thermapen to check the interior temp in the thickest part of the meat. Take it out at 125-130° internal and let it sit under foil for 10 minutes so the juices flow back into the meat.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Where are you finding Tri-Tip around here.