Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flank Steak results............

Options
Hoss
Hoss Posts: 14,600
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
LESS than impressive.It was O.K. but I think I'll make fajitas outta the rest of em.
Marinated it in a Hoover sauce(thanks Clark),garilc,onion fresh flatleaf parsely,Wishbone Italian,lemon,orange concoction.
100_3981.jpg
Grilled it at about 500-550 dome, regular grid height for 5 mins per side on the CI grid.Got a LITTLE too done for me.Thermapen said 130-140 throughout.Rested for 10 minutes and sliced.It had a good flavor but was not as tender as I like steak to be.I think it would make GREAT fajitas.
100_3984.jpg
100_3985.jpg
Egged some finglering potatos in bacon grease(thanks for the idea Susan) and butter with S/P and a few fresh rosemary leaves sprinkled in. served with storebought egged Texas Toast.Not my best cook but certainly not my worst.Next time I may try pounding flat,stuffing,rolling it up for pinwheels and see how that turns out.
100_3982.jpg
100_3983.jpg
100_3986.jpg

Comments

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    My favorite is to marinate with Yoshida's:

IMG_0355.jpg
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Great Hoss The rosemary has long to grow but the scent is sooooooo good
  • Hoss
    Options
    I just planted the little rosemary bush about 2 weeks ago. ;) It sits about 2 feet away from the Egg.Very tempting to pull a few sprigs off and add to dishes while I'm cooking. :blush: It may have a hard time growing very big. :laugh:
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    Flank steak is good for stir fry and fahitas in my experience but not as a regular main meat. And it may just be me but Rosemary is NOT in my vocabulary, or my spice cabinet. It overpowers anything I've ever ate that it contained and I just don't want my food to taste like a pine tree, just my taste buds I guess.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Hoss
    Options
    Tony,I TOTALLY agree on BOTH points.I always said rosemary and cilantro should be classified as weeds instead of herbs.I only put in 6 or 7 leaves.That was PLENTY.As far as the flank,the leftovers will be fajitas and I MAY try another one beaten flat and stuffed.The jury is still out on that. :)
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    I'll bet those potatoes and onions made up for the flank steak... :woohoo: Seriously, I've never cooked on (egged or otherwise). I have been served one of the pinwheels and it was not at all to my liking - tough and just not for me. Fajitas may be the best bet - I hope you find some measure of success - sounds like you have a lot of flank steak on your hands!!! ;) Alas, you never know how something will turn out until you try it, and now you know. (I picked up a whole tenderloin today at Fresh Market....I'm pretty sure I'll get a decent steak from it). BTW - been meaning to ask if you've planted tomatoes yet?
  • Hoss
    Options
    Thanks e.It was O.K. but I'll GLADLY trade you the flank steak in my freezer for your tenderloin. :laugh: At least I caught it on "managers special" Like you say,you don't know til ya try.I planted a few mater plants 2 weeks ago in containers at my house so I can baby them if the weather gets bad.I increased my garden by about 50% this year and I acquired another 10 acres that I'm gonna plant sweet corn,watermelons and cantaloupes on. ;):) I'll be sure and plant a row or two of peppers too.I have 5 60' foot rows of onions comming on now.Yes you read it right 10 acres.My garden last year was 1/4 acre! :blink:
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    When you're doing corn and mellons...You got to have a lot of room! :whistle:
  • AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Looked good to me Hoss!!! :)
  • Hoss
    Options
    You got THAT right! Plus you gotta plant enough that the coons and deer don't eat em all! :angry: Same with peas.
  • Hoss
    Options
    Hey stranger,how ya been?Good to hear from ya.It was edible ,at BEST! :whistle:
  • AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Hey... Been working out of town... Headed back out tomorrow...

Sorry it wasn't up to the Hoss standard... It looked good to me!!!

Hope you and yours are doing well... :)
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    That looks really good to me Hoss!! I'd eat it!!
    Really though, too bad it came out less than you had wanted / hoped for....
    I'm scratching my head on how to make it come out more tender, and I may even come up with something else, but for now all I'm coming up with is perhaps a bit more acid in the marinade and more time. Beef can take a pretty long marinade and not suffer from too much breakdown. Maybe??!!?? I'm thinking.
    Yes, it is true that a marinade won't tenderize meat, but the acid will break down proteins at the surface and this seems (to me at least) to not only allow more flavor in, but to soften that layer some. So in a sense, it is more tender :ermm: .
    Also make sure the liquids are well whisked together. The oil needs to be "emulsified", for lack of a better term, into the marinade for it to do the job.
    Just my 2 cents
    And yet.....fajitas? How can you go wrong there? If I start drivin' now, how long will it take me :whistle: ?
  • Hoss
    Options
    It's all good.Good to hear from ya.
  • Hoss
    Options
    Come on down! I'm 10 minutes south of Memphis,TN.I need you to come show me how to make those TASTEE vittles you egg. ;) I actually thought the acid in the citrus would help.No such luck.No worries,I got plenty more to practice on. :)
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Hey...
    Been to Memphis once and really enjoyed myelf there!
    Really love the music (have a friend / old band mate that is a studio musician working there) and the area.
    How bad could it be 10 minutes south? :lol:
  • Wazoo
    Wazoo Posts: 150
    Options
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Hey Hoss, I'm watching what you are doing here. Maybe you can tenderize the flank like you say by pounding. I have a Jacquard I wonder if that would help. Does the store that you purchased the meat from have a meat tenderizer they can run the meat through at the time of purchase. Do you cut in strips against the grain of the meat or slice thin with a slicer.

Good luck with your research. I'll keep watching. ;):)
  • 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    Options
    Try another and pull it at 120-125. Make sure you're slicing across the grain or it will be tough for sure. I enjoy them in fajitas also but we normally have it served on it's own.
  • elzbth
    Options
    Holey Moley! That's gonna be a lot of gardening. ;) Wooo Hooo on the watermelons - nothing finer than ice-cold, sweet watermelon in the summertime. You are gonna be a busy, busy man. :woohoo:
  • elzbth
    Options
    Thinking in terms of acidity and breakdown - I've soaked brisket and chicken overnight in buttermilk??? With the brisket I rinsed, seasoned, and egged. It has become my preferred method of prep for brisket. :ohmy:
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Looks good Hoss, I haven't had flank steak in a long time, time to correct that. :)

Blair

• Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Looks good from here Hoss
    I love flank, but also ribeye, ny strip, t-bone ect :laugh: :laugh:

Shane
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    I left out how GREAT the potatoes looked, i've not done that on the egg yet...cant get the timing down with my meat.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    Hoss the meal looks fantastic,sometimes it is just the cut of meat.We marinate ours in a heavy beer,chipoltle,cumin,mexican oregeno,and lemon pepper.It always seems to get pretty tender.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Hoss
    Options
    Great idea! Thanks.
  • Hoss
    Options
  • Hoss
    Options
    I cut it against the grain with a chef knife.These were vac packed when I bought them so all I did was toss them in the freezer. ;)
  • Hoss
    Options
    I did cut against the grain and pulling it earlier would have certainly helped.Thanks.
  • Hoss
    Options