Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adding a spice coating to smoked cheese?

BigDaddy - OCT
BigDaddy - OCT Posts: 773
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Snoopy Dog wrangled me in to doing a smoked cheese class at the OKC eggfest and while jogging tonight the thought entered in my mind (to keep me from thinking of the pain in my legs and inability to breath) that I would like to explore adding a coating to cheese before I smoke it?

Has anyone done this and what combos of spices do you think would be good? I think a cracked pepper corn layer would be good but I don't think I would want it to be a full coating as it would be very strong. I can see the cracked corns on a plate and pushing the cheese into it but what about dried spices like basil, oregeno, dill, etc? How would it be best to make them stick?

Thanks in advance,

Bruce

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Big Daddy - GREAT idea!! You can take the combinations as far as your imagination allows!! With enough force, which won't be much with cheese, I would simply "push" the spices into the surface. One thing to keep in mind though, it sounds like this is a cheese smoking class...focus on smoking cheese, not on making 'fancy' smoked cheese. You will be teaching folks that likely have NOOO clue even where to begin! I would just keep it simple, but this is just my two cents. Have fun!!
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    If the temp is right, the cheese will soften by the time the smoking is done. You might want to try pressing any herbs/spices into the cheese at that time.
    The Naked Whiz
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    How about pressing in some pulverized nuts after smoking the cheese. It should pick up a lot of smoke flavor while the cheese sits for two weeks. And the nuts can be flavored with spices.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Smoked cheese is smoked cheese, why try to change it? -RP
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

I love the idea Bruce, I have never smoked cheese (yet) but can imagine the possibilities. The Whiz's idea of catching the cheese when soft made me wonder if you could use a torch and soften/melt just the surface of the cheese, sort of like melting the sugar on top of a Creme Brulee? Not heating to such a degree but enough to soften/melt that side of a block of cheese so you can press it into "what ever". Spread "what ever" on a piece of parchment so cheese will not stick to work surface maybe . . . . maybe.

Your cracked pepper on some sharp Vermont cheddar has my mouth watering. I was wondering if you could "cut" the pepper corns with something like sunflower seeds to help take some of the edge off them, me, I love black pepper. I have been playing with anise seeds and might grind some briefly in a coffee mill and try them on a Swiss. I have also experimented with my own Herbs de Provence

4 T Thyme
    3 T Marjoram
    1 T Oregano
    1 T Basil
    1 t Rosemary ground
    1 t Sage ground
    1.5 t Anise Seed ground

I told you I was playing with those anise seeds. ;)

Maybe roll a goat cheese in an herb mix and smoke over something exotic like grape vines.

Just my early morning thoughts, have a great weekend,

Blair

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    love cracked pepper on some room temp cheddar, why not :laugh: some dp cowlick rub is good on a sharp cheddar as well, maybe try some of that
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    Bruce, my two cents, have to agree with Little Chef and AZRP, go with KISS. with so much spices i might as well smoke chunks of tofu and not taste the difference B) :P
    Gary
    canuckland
  • Bruce:

One thought I had is that all the advice I've seen indicates that the cheese should rest for a week or 2 before eating. I'm wondering if you wouldn't be well served by pulling the TV chef trick. Put it on the egg to smoke, then pull out the packs that you smoked a week or two before and allow tasting. When done take the cheese home and a week or two later do what you will with it.

I'll see you in OKC!!!

Doug
  • Thanks all. Some good suggestions there and I look forward to experimenting. I do think, at this point, that waiting until the cheese softens a bit is the way to go. Good thinking!

Doug, see you in a couple of weeks. Randy, I guess it's just to change it up a bit. Sorry we won't be seeing you in OKC...won't be the same without you two.

Bruce