Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch Oven on the Egg

Options
Essex County
Essex County Posts: 991
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have seen a number of posts that describe dutch oven cooking on the egg. While the egg is a clear winner for smoking, grilling, roasting, and lots of other stuff, what does it add to something cooked in a closed cast iron pot? Just wondering.[p]Thanks,[p]Paul

Comments

• Essex County,[p]ahh..but your asuming that the dutch oven is closed while cooking in the egg.....[p]AL
  • haywyre
    haywyre Posts: 165
    Options
    AssumptionLoiu,
    I did chili last week, Left the list off and smoked with hickory and Jack Daniels Barrel ;) YUM especially a day later :)

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Essex County,
    lid off for gumbo and chili, for potroast lid off for half the cook. as strange as it sounds, some smoke gets into a slow simmered tomato sauce with the lid on, this is where you need an enameled pot the most as it will wreck the finish on a seasoned cast iron

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Tom Harmon
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Several things - The egg maintains temps much more evenly than an oven so the temp the food is cooked at remains constant for the most part. If you use a platesetter then the finish / seasoning on regular dutch oven is not ruined AND no problems with scorching on bottom of dutch oven. [p]The smoke flavor that gets picked is very unique and cannot be duplicated easily.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    tlhrtp,
    i agree, use both a good deal of the time, the acidity of the tomatoes is what has ruined the seasoning for me. when theres lots of tomatoes i use the lecruset.for others i use my lodge as the blackness adds to the charm.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Essex County,[p]I do quite a bit of open pot Dutch oven type cooking and get wonderful results. I think if I was going to leave the lid on, it would be easier to do in the oven. I also adjust my recipes for this type of cooking with the lid off as it does take more liquid in the pot. [p]23MVC-008E.jpg[p]This picture shows my hot stew in an open pot Dutch oven in my Large egg.[p]35MVC-010E.jpg[p]This picture is ranch beans on the cooker. [p]31MVC-015E.jpg[p]This picture is jambalaya ready to go on the cooker.[p]21MVC-026E.jpg[p]This picture shows a large pot of pinto beans on the cooker. [p]Hope this helps.[p]Dave

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Essex County,
    About a week ago made bunkhouse pork and beans in my No. 10. 4 hours at 325 degrees, pecan smoked with the lid off.
    Outrageously delicious with buttered bread and a tall glass of milk. ( bread and smoked pork made in the egg beforehand )[p]A cold Wisconsin winter survival food :-)

• JimboBQ
    JimboBQ Posts: 197
    Options
    Old Dave,
    Ranch beans? Now that sounds like something I'd really like. Do you have a recipe, or could you point me in the right direction?
    Thanks,[p]Jimbo

Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...
  • JimboBQ,[p]I do two recipes of Texas style ranch beans but I am sure the one in the picture is Bigwheels. This recipe is very hot and unless you are a chili-head, substitute the Rotel with habs to the Rotel with green chilies. You will also need more water if you do it in an open pot. This is a great recipe and we do it often.

[ul][li]Bigwheels Beans[/ul]
  • Essex County
    Options
    Essex County,
    Thanks for the insight. Guess I need to think "outside the pot"! I look forward to trying some of your suggestions.[p]Paul

• Charcoal Mike
    Options
    tlhrtp,[p]Kinda off topic I guess, but can you explain the theory in regards to the egg maintaining temperature more evenly than a regular oven? I not trying to be difficult at all, nor do I doubt the comment - I'm just trying to be educated in regards to why the temp in a regular oven would vary so much, since they do have thermostats to help regulate the temp (I have a gas stove/oven, BTW).[p]I also like dutch oven cooking in the egg - it definitely adds a unique flavor to a dish. I've only tried chili so far (with a platesetter), but a pot roast needs to make its way to the top of the list soon. :-)[p]Cheers to you -[p]Mike[p]
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    I don't want to step on toes here.... but,[p]when an Egg is chugging along at 350, it is very stable at that temperature. However, kitchen ranges heat up and down thru the thermostat cycles and they can easily be 25 degree swings or more (expect more). This is normally fine for baking and is perfectly acceptable.
    There is more info here and I hope this helps.
    later,
    Ron.[p] [p][p][p]

[ul][li]Oven temps[/ul]
  • Tom Harmon
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,[p]Lot's of historical posts - most illustrative segment on tv I have seen is from Alton Brown.....[p]Thermostats are set within limits - and you would be amazed at the extremes of the upper and lower limits.. (think on the order of 50, possibly 75 degrees sometimes - especially on older units.) The egg, having a HUGE heat mass, is much more within those limits - especially if monitored. [p]On an anecdotal level - why do you think they sell fire brick 'enclosures' for baking in an oven? The additional mass mitigates the temp swings![p]tlhrtp[p]

• Essex County, Three things I find with the dutch oven. First, if I want, I can leave the lid off for a time with some wood for smoke in the egg. I do get a touch of smoke flavor. I am still working out the amount of smoke to the amount of taste. Second, three hours of cooking on the egg means three hours the oven is not heating up my kitchen. Third, apple pie does not cook well at 250, if my stew is in the egg my apple pie can be in the oven and be served warm for dessert. Which brings up the chedder cheese/vanilla ice cream debate. When will it end? FF

• I have used my three Lodge dutch ovens with no problems by wrapping the outside with aluminum foil before placing in the egg. I often get soup started on the stove indoors, then move to the egg for a slow simmer with the lid off. This lets me put it in right after the smoking chips to get the best flavor. I also use a small dutch oven to make soup at the same time I cook steaks. Just enough room to cook for four.[p]Anyone thinking about cast iron: Lodge sells theirs already seasoned for just a bit more than unseasoned. Worth every penny. If you're ever near Chattanooga, TN, they have an outlet store in South Pittsburg, TN with every little cast iron gadget you can imagine. [p]If you're new to cast iron, NEVER wash it with anything like Dawn, etc. Will strip the seasoning right off.

Have fun![p]Tim