Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new egg - plate setter or CGS large combo?

Options
Jerzee
Jerzee Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I checked out the Ceramic Grill Store and I was thinking of picking up their Large Customer Combo (Adjustable Rig, Spider, 13" Round Ceramic Stone, 13x17 Stainless Oval Grid, 13" Drip Pan, Pair Crossbars). Is this a good idea?

With the 13" round ceramic stone, that's what I would use for indirect cooking in lieu of a plate setter, correct?

Comments

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Yep!!

Infinately better and more versatile than a Plate Setter!!

Not even a question!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • VPW
    VPW Posts: 11
    Options
    Totally agree with Chubby... Not even a question if you can afford it...
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Yes, the stone makes a great substitute for the platesetter. I don't do large cooks, so I use mine with the WOO3 instead of the AR.
    Most folks agree that pizza should be cooked on a double layer of stone with spacers in between [platesetter, legs down, green feet or other spacers for air gap, then the pizza stone], so if you are planning to make pies you need to take that into account. I am sure there is a way to use two stones in the AR to accomplish this. Call Tom and ask. :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

After 4 years of getting the getting the adjustable rig and spider, I have used the plate setter 3 times - I use the large 3 to 4 times a week if not more. If I were to buy another large it would have the same setup again. If I hand't broken the edge of one leg off I would have offered the plate setter for sale.

To achieve indirect cooking I use a Stainless Steel deep dish pizza pan.

In the following picture I am using the spider and my deep dish pizza pan to hold the pot as the oval on the spider was too wide to hold the Dutch Oven.
    chili1.jpg

I use the adjustable rig on every cook and the spider on 98% of all my cooks.

I support BGE but in this case get tom's (CGS) setup.

my 2¢.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

A suggestion... use the spider inverted with a drip pan or I use the deep dish pizza pan then a good pizza stone on top of the AR. Great way to cook pizza. Still no need for the plate setter.

GG
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Not trying to spend your money but, I got what you are getting so far plus...the only other thing I got was a wok.

In addition to that I would also get this setup Large Slide Guide Combo for Rig: Adj. Rig Extender, 13x17 Stainless Oval Grid, Slide Guide with Crossbar

http://ceramicgrillstore.com/shop/shop/index.php?productID=213

I do my best chicken cooks up high in the egg and the Rig Extender, 13x17 Stainless Oval Grid will get you there. The Slide Guide with Crossbar will let you slide an oval grid of food in the rig like ribs.

Next you will need to get a cast iron food grid for the spider. I think the small will fit in it but, maybe the medium. I got a medium then I had to grind it all the way around to fit in the spider. It works great for me. If not the small will work. Have fun and he ships FedEx so it will get to you fast and they ship on Saturday as well.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Gotta agree here, if you have the money order the AR, Slide Guides, Rig extender, etc. Just make sure that you call Tom and ask about what all you will need. It can save you a lot in shipping instead of ordering multiple times like I did ;);)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    000_1844.jpg

000_2540.jpg

100_3312.jpg

100_3305.jpg

100_3174.jpg

000_2279.jpg

Using this setup I smoked 6 slabs of baby back ribs car wash Mike style. I did rotate every time I spritzed and they were a lot of work but, perfect. ;)

000_2249.jpg

000_2121.jpg

First I sear the thick cut pork chops.

000_2077.jpg

Then I raise them up and put my maverick et-73 to use until 150F in the center of the meat (some pull the chops off sooner). :P

000_2079.jpg

000_1875.jpg

000_1886.jpg

000_1872.jpg
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    if money is not an issue, don't even consider the platesetter.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    i have multiple home made raised grids, a plate setter ,a couple of pizza stones and more 'stuff' .. some of which were purchased prior to ceramic grill store ,, ceramic grill store is the only way to go imho.. this summer i plan to clean up my mess .. order the CGS set up and get rid of all excess .
  • transversalInactive
    Options
    The large customer combo is 1st on my bucket list. And Tome is some nice to deal with.
  • Jerzee
    Jerzee Posts: 84
    Options
    Thank you so much for this information! 2fat, those pictures are perfect!

Gonna give Tom a call tomorrow. :)
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Have a good evening bud row. ;)
  • Wooly Swampman
    Options
    I have not had my egg long either and went out and purchased the plate setter. Now that I can see what the adjustable rig can do, I am definitely going to get it too. Maybe I can create something new with the plate setter and rig together???
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    I have two large egg and I have the plate setter as well as one adjustable rig setup. I can do lots of thing with my two large eggs. ;)

I did see one person stuff a plate setter and adjustable rig in one egg. I don't know how he did it. :unsure: