Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Update

Jake
Jake Posts: 92
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am finding out that I do not have as much a hinge problem asI have a problem with the dome. BGE is aware of the problem and I was told that the head man of BGE is in Mexico as we speak trying to fix the problem. I am just glad that they are on top of things.
Jake

Comments

• Jake, do you have an extra large egg? I am interested in buying one when they come to market, which I now understand is March-April. [p]What has been your experience? Does it have a divider for the charcoal so that you can load charcoal on one side and do indirect cooking?

• Jake
    Jake Posts: 92
    Don,
    It is the XL. I love it even with the quirks. It does not have a divider. I suppose you could make one from an old broken fire ring from a large egg. I think the XL is definately a keeper.
    Jake

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Don,
    Why not just use a plate setter and have the whole grill surface available? To me, that's how an egg cooks best anyway.

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    drbbq,
    .....and that is one massive platesetter to boot! If you set on the top of the fire ring in 'feet-up' position and then set the grid on top, you can cook one whack of groceries, all shielded from direct flame in 'indirect' fashion. Yesterday I had a pork loin roast and 6 slices of beef short ribs on there with plenty of circulation around each of them. Not to mention the 18" pizza pan that fits with extra space on the platesetter in an upright position.
    Qfan

• drbbq
    Hi Mike,[p]I'll be at the HPBA show next week showing that baby off. It's one of the few times it actually gets filled up. Friday there's a film crew coming by. I plan to have a pot of chili, three slabs of baby backs, a chicken and some squash and zuchini on it at that time, and a cake on the large. Should be fun.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Do you need a sidekick, drbbq? It is snowing here. I just unpacked today & am already plotting my next adventure/escape. JCA

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Jake,[p]You guys are making me nuts! Keep talking about the XL like that and when they hit the open market and I go buy one I'm going to name every one of you as co-respondents in my divorce proceedings and you can help pay the little woman! ;>)
  • drbbq
    J Appledog,[p]Well, I'm always interviewing.[p]I was surprised to hear you'd left. It's beautiful here.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ