Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time, slightly apprehensive

BD
BD Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

My Medium BGE was delivered today ! I have been reading your messages for the last few weeks, having just discovered BGE's *even* existed only a few months back, while doing a recipe search. Got the literature from the BGE people and went to look at it last weekend at the local distributor. Two days later I went back and bought it. I can't use it until Saturday unfortunately. I have a 3 lb. London Broil and saw that Gfw's successful Baptism of his BGE took place w/ a Lon. Broil, so that's what I will try. I am a bit nervous about the temp. regulating, so any tips you can give to calm me down would be appreciated. I love to cook and I can easily tell all of you do, too, and I already love my egg....I just long to be proficient at using it.
Thanks.

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    BD, Welcome and if I can be of ANY help, please let me know - I'm one of those strange people who get email 24 hours eery day... [p]SUGGESTION... just do it - it will be great and the results will be EGGsellant!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    BD, if you want too, just stick a couple of handfuls of lump charcoal in on the grate. For a simple start up..go ahead and wad up a sheet of news paper, and stuff it in the ash pit. Leave the bottom ash vent wide open and dome top chimney open. Light the paper and see if you get a charcoal ignition. Once you see the white smoke rolling out the top your successful..Then just play with the controls. Adjust the lower vent to a half inch opening..and see where the temperature stops. Close it more, or open it more in 1/4 inch increments to see how easily the temperatures are controlled. You won't be wasting much lump, and you will be more relaxed when you cook your first meal. Good techniques all around the forum.
    When ready to shut down the fire, close the lower vent and put the solid cap on top. I usually snap my lower vent shut with a quick flip, and it clears my ashes from the slot. In doing that, I never have had to clean the slot out and/or have my slider door stick. Nothing, no oil, no sweat and no cussing...:-) Just flip it till it hits the stop. And welcome to the forum..
    Cheers..C~W[p]