Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bleeding egg ???

Options
BGElovr
BGElovr Posts: 83
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bought a used small egg in excellent shape,recently. Charred on the inside, which I figure is normal. Fired it up tonight and about an hour into a 300* cook, the base of the egg started "leaking/ oozing" a brown thick liquid through the outer shell. I've wiped it off twice and it still comes back. What gives? I've read about high temp burn offs. Should that take care of it or will it always do this. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Could it be you have a crack in the base? :ermm:
  • BGElovr
    Options
    Don't think so 2. More like it's coming through the crazing of the glaze in many different places all around the base.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    It's just moisture bleeding out from lack of use. Run a load of lump at 500 or so to clean and dry it out.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i would run it at three hundred for an extended time. my maine egg gets wet and doesnt get used certian times of the year, here was a tday cook. use it often and it doesnt happen as much

002-7.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    I can't speak from experience maybe someone who can will chime in. Nothing like that has happened to me. Hope it's like you say and it quits oozing. :unsure:
  • BGElovr
    Options
    Fishless and FlaPoolman, that's the exact reply that I was hoping for. Thanks guys. :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I was a little surprised to see the look of fishlessman's egg. I will get a 'drip & run' which looks like a tar type liquid. If I wipe the dripping/running off when the dome is warm/hot it rubs right off with a paper towel. If I let the egg cool it takes a lot of work and cleaner to get the 'tar' off. A combination of salt & citric acid will cut through the gunk.

I think it is a combination of the moisture in the air, moisture in the food and the creosote on the inside of the egg.

GG
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    It has happened to me, moisture and some chicken fat bleeding through. It will wipe off and a couple of hot cooks and it will be gone :)
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    may i ask what you paid for your used small.. I have found one and am very tempted to use at the boat and tailgating!
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• fishlessman
    Options
    my maine egg sees some conditions most eggs will never see. right now it hasnt made an appearance from under the snow banking, when it does it sits in mud for a while, have actually done cooks with the lower vent half under water :laugh: its not to say my more used egg sees better conditions, here it is getting ready for a rib cook, i dont shovel :laugh:

006-12.jpg
    fukahwee maine

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    That is hilarious!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • BGElovr
    Options
    Stevesails...I gave $150 and it needed a hinge lower vent door and a gasket. Luckily, the BGE store is about 10 miles from me and they hooked me up. Bought a mini two weeks ago for $140 and it needed nothing. I'm working my way to a large, one size at a time. :laugh:
    Just started a long burn now. Thanks for the help guys.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I don't have an issue of being in 'mud' or cooking in water other than heavy rain. However, snow is another issue.

eggnsnow.jpg

Depending on how cold it is with the snow I will use a weed burner. I don't bother brushing much snow off of the egg. We have had over 600" of snow this year just east of me. We have had a lot down here too.

I also cook in poring rain. Once or twice a year I will get a seepage.

GG
  • fishlessman
    Options
    dont know how i didnt get an egg pick, this is my lawn in maine :laugh: we have mud season ;) my egg was sitting in that with ribs cooking away

DSC_0500.jpg

DSC_0663.jpg
    fukahwee maine

• 2Fategghead
    Options
    Wow I wish I had your luck on finding eggs. ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Did you have some quackers with your ribs. :laugh:
  • BGElovr
    Options
    That's just crazy, Fisless :blink:
    Hey 2...there's a Medium here just south of ATL nest, tables and all for $450 probably would take $400 for it all. You know how folks are. Looks to be in great shape too. Sound like an okay deal :unsure:
  • jaymag_87
    jaymag_87 Posts: 111
    Options
    The former Home Builder in me is screaming!!!! :ohmy:

You have a serious drainage problem.
  • jaymag_87
    Options
    When I saw that picture I flashed to the Mayor's Office in Ghostbusters..."the walls of the 53rd Precinct are bleeding." :ohmy:
  • fishlessman
    Options
    its actually almost pure sand :laugh: house sits on a sandbar with a river wrapping 2/3 of the property, very close to water level in the spring when the snow melts and the river rises. surprisingly the bank says im not in a flood zone, the deck in the pick is level with the first floor :whistle: when it rains it rains pretty hard there, give it a half hour and its gone unless the river gets too high
    fukahwee maine

• BGElovr
    Options
    It's been a couple hours now at about 550* and I've wiped it it down 6 times. I think the bleeding has subsided.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Thanks. I have two large now. I might nibble on a mini or a small. ;)
  • jaymag_87
    Options
    I hope you have good flood insurance. :lol: