Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New and looking for advice on purchase

Jerzee
Jerzee Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all! Amateur griller here looking to upgrade from simple gas grills to charcoal and my search inevitably lead to the BGE. At first I was going to go the Weber kettle route but the versatility of the BGE has me very excited.

My question is, I am thinking of picking up a Large and a Medium with the idea being that I can use the L for larger cuts of meats, slow cooking, and burgers/dogs while the M could be used for sides, veggies, or just small meals.

Is this necessary or would a Large alone suffice?

Typically, I'll cook large cuts of meets, chickens, and during the average week, enough food to last a few days for my wife, son, and myself. However I would like the ability to be able to handle a decent sized BBQ of 12 people or so. Perhaps a Large BGE and a 22" Weber kettle would make do?

I called a few local dealers and got a quote of $649.00 for a Large. From my research I've determined that's a fantastic deal but I'm just looking to confirm.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice and I look forward to learning lots from you fine folks!

-Dan

Comments

• Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Many people, including myself, have found the large/small egg combo to be a very versatile and complimentary arrangement. Don't waste the money on a Weber if you are also buying an Egg, for before long, the Weber will become an ole memory and be destined for Craig's List. :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    you can do alot more with a large and a multiple level grill in one large. go to the ceramic grill store, lots of options. start with a large and decide which size would suite you down the road for a second grill.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    If you can do both it would be great. I think most go the Large/Small route, but a Lg/Med. would provide even more cooking area. I once thought that I'd never need any more than my Large....now I have added a Small and a Mini and they all get use. The $649 is very good. It's likely just for the Egg alone and no nest.

I think you'll be very proud you headed to the Egg.

Keep us posted.

Mike
  • I had just the large for many years, and you can cook alot on it, enough for your 12 person BBQ party. Most people buy the 2nd egg so they can cook on both at the same time, at two different temperatures. Large and small is a very popular choice around here.

Welcome and good luck.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Jerzee
    Wow! 4 replies in no time flat. You guys don't play around!

The large/small sounds like a good combo.

I was contemplating just getting a large for now and waiting to see if an additional purchase is required, however I plan on building my own cart and due to my anal retentiveness, would insist on having both in the same cart if I did purchase a second.

Thanks again for the advice. I'm excited to go to the grill store this weekend!

Dan
  • Hey Dan, I have had both the small and medium, and my personal preference is the Medium. The small is nice if you want to take it with you somewhere, but it has a pretty limited cooking area. I have done 8lb butts on the medium that went for 18 plus hours, but it's small enough to just do a couple of burgers or steaks on as well. For the price difference, I think you would really enjoy the larger capacity of the medium. You can fit two chickens, ribs ect, but doesn't use near the lump of the large. It would be a great combo, lg & med.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I personally don't like my medium. The grate doesn't fit on the fire ring correctly so it isn't stable. This isn't just my egg I have looked at many in the show rooms and they are all that way. I loved my large/small combo but have since upgraded to a large/large combo and its the way to go. For the minimal difference in price get another large if you are going to get 2. You can always build your table larger and just get one large and if you decide to get another just modify the table. If you decide the one large is enough then you will have plenty of work space.
  • Jerzee
    I'll definitely have to spend some time at the grill store exploring the Medium and Small. I was considering an additional Large but I think that might be overkill for my use.

Forgive me if I've missed a sticky thread somewhere but I was wondering what folks consider the essential starting accessories? From my reading, I've gathered most people recommend:

Plate Setter
    Thermometer of some type (can anyone recommend one)
    Gloves
    Some type of lightning tool (I saw someone mention a Harbor Freight weed torch)

Anyone have some recommendations on the ones I listed or perhaps something I may have missed?

Dan
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    fckvwls, I think if you can get a large egg for $649. get two. Then get the eggcessories from the ceramicgrillstore.com and pick up a thermapen and a maverick 732. Now you are set for a long time as long as you can get lump. ;)
  • Lit
    The thermapen is the way to go on instant read thermometers but it is like $90. I use the pit mit for gloves. BGE now has them that say Big Green Egg. The plate setter is essential to have but if I could start over and money didn't matter I would get the adjustable rig from ceramicgrillstore.com instead of the plate setter. Its much more versatile as far as it can do indirect, raised direct, several levels of cooking or pretty much anything you need. Just an FYI I have done (2) 8 pound shoulders in my small before.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    You mentioned building a cart for both Eggs. Please keep in mind that this will be a very heavy pirce of equipment and hard to move. You may want to consider two carts unless moving the eggs around is not an issue.

Thermopen is the best instant read thermometer out there, don't settle for less.
    The starter cubes that BGE sells work well to start your lump, so deciding on an upgrade for that need not be an imminent concern. Many love the weedburner, especially if you have propane tanks that are not being used anymore. I use a MAPP torch and like that method. Some just use cooking oil soaked into a paper towel.
    A pizza stone is a great accessorie also.

Check out www.ceramicgrillstore.com for rack systems for large cooks and many other well made accessories. They are great folks to work with.

Welcome Aboard! :)
  • jurisdoc
    jurisdoc Posts: 77
    Plate setter is a must. Thermapen is probably best instant read thermometer. If you do low & slow, a Maverick ET-73 or new improved ET-732 is a major plus. I use starter cubes to light, but most friends use electric lighter.

I love my pizza stone too. And my cast iron skillets (already had those) for bacon, eggs, etc. and a cast iron dutch oven for some deserts.

As for sizes, well I'd get a large an another large unless travelling with the egg is an issue. Never heard anyone say "wish I had a smaller egg." A few extra bags of charcoal a year isn't going to be a problem.

Happy egging!!
  • Lit
    My table isn't too bad to move. My 120 pound fiancee and I moved if from the garage to outback. Obviously you will have to take the eggs out to move it though.

Picture225-1.jpg
  • 2Fategghead
    There are two of us with an occasional gathering of 6 or 8 people. We love cooking and eating food off the egg. We also love frequenting the egg head forum. You will also. Welcome your life is about to change and so is your wallet. :laugh:

Most everyone here has this instant read thermometer. Some have two. ;)

http://thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/splashproof_thermapen.html

Believe it or not a lot of folks here also have a lot of the accessory offered here as well.

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/

Again a large percentage of eggheads on this forum have the Maverick ET-73. This is the new improved version. We hear mixed opinions but, it's still the best out there IMO. Tim

http://www.maverickhousewares.com/et732.htm

A mapp torch

A wiggle rod

http://thirdeyebbq.com/WiggleRods.aspx
  • 2Fategghead
    I have two large eggs one in a big green egg table and one in a nest with the handler. If I were to do it over I would have the eggs in the nests with the handler and build a table on wheels to roll it around. When you put an egg in a table there are certain precautions to take. Most here have their egg in a table but, set it on a paving stone and the three green feet. That way you are less likely to transfer heat to the wood on the shelf that the egg sits on in the table. Don't get me wrong the egg in a table is great but, I like the versatility of separating and putting each where I want it. You may not need to move your egg/s around any.
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Dan, congrats on finding the BGE, it's gonna change your life! ( in a good way) having two eggs is definately a plus, not just for the extra capacity, but the ability to cook at different temps, and or direct/indirect at the same time. most people end up with more than one egg. I have two larges, works well for me,mine are in the same table.
    IMG_0635.jpg

the L/S or L/M combo would also work well. 649 is a fantastic price, at that price, the two Lg would be a real temptation.
    Either way, good luck, and enjoy your egg( or eggs)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    welcome. nice handle. :laugh: :whistle:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    I have a large/small combo and it works great for me. I live by myself so I use the small a lot, it's pretty capable. The large will handle a meal for 12 people pretty easily. If get more heavily into entertaining I will buy a 2nd large. I have the platesetter, pizza stone and adjustable rig from the ceramic grill store so all the accessories would swap back and forth easily. A big advantage in having 2 larges rather than large/med.

My Dad has a medium, they work great for cooking for a 4 to 5 person family. I think they run short for entertaining though.

As has already been said on accessories, get a platesetter, or for more versatility get the adjustable rig. Get a thermapen, it made me a much better cook.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • I have only one large, but the problem is the cooking the main meat entree and then doing the hordorves. I am planning on buying my second large shortly because I have all the gadgets for the first large and can use them for both of them. I would recommend the Maverick 732 therm . Much improved from the predecessor. You will be amazed how many gadgets are available for the BGE and how many you will decide over time you can not live without.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    If I had to choose,I would get a Large and then purchase an Adjustable Rig from the CGS with ALL the extras that they make for it.I would probably then buy another Large later.After that,if I wanted one I could carry around to tailgates or camping,I would buy a Small.Good Luck! :)
  • Hoss
    Go to the Naked Whiz's website and look at the table gallery and the table forum on here BEFORE you build your table/cart.A lot of REALLY cool setups on there.STAY AWAY from the ones with holes you have to place them in.Open front is the ONLY way to go.I learned the HARD WAY! ;) I now have a nest with Nesthandler for my Large Egg and a Weber Kettle sittin in my thousand dollar egg table! :blush::angry: I have to move mine around a lot.If you plan on a set it and forget it then it does'nt matter as much.The open front setups are still MUCH more user friendly. :) Oh yeah,put BIG casters/wheels on it.
  • Hoss
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    The BGE is the correct selection and you will never regret it. If I were you, I would purchase the large and see if you need anything else. That said, the medium is a fantastic egg and the only one I own. I can cook a 16 lb turkey, 2-9 lb butts, or a 13 lb whole brisket packer without issue. The thing is a work horse with enough grill space and lump capacity to do some serious bbq damage! Whatever you do...you will love the BGE and your cooking ability is about to go nuclear.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Large/large, large/medium, or large/small - you really cannot go wrong!

We have two larges but didn't plan for that, it was just the way it ended up. I would like a small for quickie burgers and steaks and for sides when the larges are being used for something else. Eventually one of the larges will likely end up at the family cabin and that's when I'll start getting serious about adding the small.

Accessories - platesetter for sure, also thermapen. Both are indispensable.

Boy, are you gonna have fun!
  • kirstenl
    kirstenl Posts: 29
    Fwiw, the 2011 msrp for a Med egg is $629, so if you can get a large for that, it's a good deal.

Kirsten
  • Jerzee
    You guys and gals are fantastic! I belong to quite a few forums and I can honestly say I've never received a warmer greeting or such sagely advice.

I went ahead and purchased a Large for the $649. The store didn't have any in stock, same for M or S so I figured I would start with the L for now and see how I do with that for a few weeks. The store also carries WG Weekend Warrior lump so I picked up a few bags as well. The guy gets regular shipments from BGE so I should have it by next weekend fully assembled (they assemble for free). On a side note, I asked the guy how he was able to sell Large's for $649 when all other stores in a 25 mile radius were $799. He said he prices low for small profit margin but moves lots of eggs. In fact, the last one he had in stock was purchased by a guy from Brooklyn who was coming to pick it up (over $50 travelling expenses in tolls and gas going round trip from Brooklyn to northern NJ).

On the way home I stopped at Harbour Freight and picked up a weed torch for lighting the lump, some nice welders gloves, and a ceramic chefs knife.

My next move is to follow some folks' suggestions and get a ThermaPen as well as a Maverick.

I checked out the Ceramic Grill Store and I was thinking of picking up their Large Customer Combo (Adjustable Rig, Spider, 13" Round Ceramic Stone, 13x17 Stainless Oval Grid, 13" Drip Pan, Pair Crossbars). Is this a good idea?

With the 13" round ceramic stone, that's what I would use for indirect cooking in lieu of a plate setter, correct?

Any other accessories I should pickup?

As for the table I dropped by the Naked Whiz's site and got some great ideas. I like the idea of the open front even though I have no plans of moving the egg much, if at all. I was thinking of putting some sort of "gate" type of device over the front for my own peace of mind. My father is a carpenter and I spent a few years working for him while in college so I'm going to throw around some ideas with him tomorrow. Oddly enough, I'm a programmer/designer for a large manufacturing facility that makes OEM surgical cases for the medical industry and have at my disposal an enormous amount of metal processing machines from industrial lasers to robotic welders. I'm not only thinking of making some of my own tools like ash scrapers but I may consider using some stainless steel for all kinds of things, maybe even the countertop for the egg cart.

Thanks again for all the great feedback. I'm really excited to learn from you fine folks and get started grilling!
  • Jerzee
    Hope this bumps the thread. Help meeeeeeeeee! :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    with all that stuff you can cook pretty much everything but soup, you will probably buy a dutch oven down the road. if the table is movable you could put the opening in back and make the table look better from the front, i always see built ins with the opening in front, the egg is heavey, it wont tip in a table. you can buy a paver, put the egg on it and cook a while before deciding how you want to build your table, ive been in the deciding mode for about 8 years :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it