Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oh No? Bought a 3/4 Inch Rutland?

Options
davehemp
davehemp Posts: 109
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Instead of 5/8ths...long story...am I screwed? I even bought the Copper sealant even though the gasket came with it's own(which apparently doesn't work as well), but this was the only size they had as flat instead of rope. Hopefully if i don't "bunch" it the way I've read this will be okay?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    the only 3/4" gasket they make is the rope - and I'd strongly recommend against using it.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Options
    sorry I misread - it sounds like you bot the stove window 3/4" gasket. Email me.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Ron,

Others may gain from the now private conversations. :whistle:
  • davehemp
    Options
    Well, heck - I've never posted a pic before so now's probably not the time to try, but they had rope also - this is the flat braid...it says 1/4 - 3/4" Tape & Cement 7 Foot Length Item No. 95W-6. I bought it at an Ace Hardware...Package says Grapho-Glas Replacement Stove Gasket Kit...I was hoping you'd see my post because I know you're the expert... If you want me to try a photo I will - or I could email you one possibly easier... UPC:
    0 22624 02395 1
  • RRP
    Options
    95W-6 is a tape and the adhesive is latex. Depending on how long it has laid at the ACE warehouse it may be rock hard so use the Permatex anyway. If you can't take it back then yes you can go lighter on the bunching as it will make the gasket too wide, but the trade off is it will be thinner.
  • davehemp
    Options
    Hmm...thanks so much for the info...so this 1/4 inch thick "tape" is not as thick as the recommended 5/8th... the sealant just says Black Fiberglass Stove Gasket Cement, and the tube feels soft, but my understanding was that this was still not as good as the Copper alternative?
  • davehemp
    Options
    One thing curious - the Rutland says withatands 2000 degrees and the Copper says 700 degrees? I think the Rutland stuff just doesn't stick as well?
  • Ripnem
    Options
    The black stuff that comes with the Rutland stove gasket is SH!T.

don't use it
  • Ripnem
    Options
    I think you're right
  • davehemp
    Options
    :laugh: Gotcha! Nicely said...
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    I got a tubular rope oven gasket at the parts department of an appliance and used copper adhesive. Easy.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Who cares, buy the right one and fix it.
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Sounds like Ron is saying that is the wrong stuff. :huh: you better ask him, I don't think he cares for me. :blush:
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    hahaha, good thing some of us do... :laugh: :laugh:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • RRP
    Options
    let me try to clarify. The 5/8" wide 95-6 is nearly 1/4" thick as compared to the 95W-6 what you bought that is sold as being 3/4" wide and 1/4" thick. The reason the 5/8" works better is once you "bunch it" back into itself making it 3/4" or even wider if need be - it becomes much thicker than 1/4" and denser. That way you only need to install the gasket on the base only and the density will stop air leakage better and really get more dense as dust, grease, and smoke fills in the minute spaces. Starting out with the 95W-6 already being 3/4" if you bunch it it gets too wide and hangs over the edges, but if you don't you have a loosely woven gasket. Make sense?

As for their adhesive it will work if you follow some pretty precise application instructions - trouble is that it's latex and if you're the impatient type who wants to rush this job there's a good chance for failure. OTOH I know for a fact when applied properly the Rutland adhesive is fine.
  • RRP
    Options
    Adam - I'm not snubbing you, buddy trust me! I'm working between 2 computers again tonight and this one has crappy email so I have to count on my wife to holler that I've got email on the other and then run in and disrupt her. Once I get the chance I intend to send you an email.
  • davehemp
    Options
    Superb explanation - very understandable...I wish they had the right thing in stock - pondering now what to do...thanks for the info needed to make the decision...should've ordered online, I guess - Nomex gasket just bit the dust w/pizza cook, and wanted to fix things up this weekend...maybe I can get it bunched up a bit - if it's just esoterics, I don't necessarily mind a little overhang on the outer edge... :blink:
  • Ripnem
    Options
    You're hard core! :laugh:
  • RRP
    Options
    or you could just email me - I just MIGHT have another solution! :whistle::whistle::whistle:
  • davehemp
    Options
    I've always found Hardcore preferable to softcore... B) :woohoo:
  • davehemp
    Options
    I just emailed you, Ron...
  • wkygriller
    wkygriller Posts: 408
    Options
    Ron,
    Messed up the first time and bought the rope Rutland. The correct one came in today. What copper adhesive do I need to buy?
  • RRP
    Options
    Permatex Ultra Copper available at most any good auto parts store for maybe $6 at most! BTW out of curiosity what did you pay IN Total for your Rutland gasket?
  • wkygriller
    wkygriller Posts: 408
    Options
    Ron,
    The first gasket "rope" was around $11.00 at tractor supply. I used the included adhesive and it lasted about 2 weeks. I thought it had something to do with the way I installed it. Now I know better :(. I bought the correct gasket on Amazon and it was $10.11 including shipping. I was going to order the adhesive on Amazon for $3.45 plus shipping of $4.05. Going to check at Napa tomorrow for the adhesive. Next time I will get the correct info from the forum before ordering anything else. BTW, have a new small that I probably need to order another one for.
  • davehemp
    Options
    Thanks for your help, Ron...the best of Eggheads...