Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Update for 700 plus degrees

Options
texegghead
texegghead Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First of all, thanks for all the inputs and advice. Today I decided to clean out the egg and add some new lump in another attempt to see how hot I could get the egg. After grilling up some chicken legs I put the plate setter inside to cook off some of the drippings that were caked on. I opened the bottom vent and and took the top off completely and went inside to eat. Well, I forgot all about the egg. After realizing I had forgotten about it, I ran outside to check on it. To my delight I noticed the temp was just over 750 degrees. I also noticed that I melted the crap out of the gasket. I guess I just needed to give it some time to get that high. That was something I hadn't done before. Boy was that sucker hot!!!

Comments

• Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    The BGE is kind of like the "Black Bird". It takes a bit to get there, but all of a sudden, It's Mach 3.5 + and you're really not sure what happened :ohmy: .
  • Kew_el_steve
    Options
    And the purpose of this is...???
  • texegghead
    Options
    Just to see how hot I can get it. That's all.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    From a texegghead point of view....I believe...
    To give a good cleaning to his EGG.
  • texegghead
    Options
    Well yes, that too. It did need it.
  • Stony
    Stony Posts: 21
    Options
    I did the same on Sunday. Wanted to give mine a good cleaning. thirty minutes later the needle was wrapped around to the seven o'clock position. i have no idea how hot that is but i do know it fouled the thermometer. i had to recalibrate it the next day. my gasket was already shot so there was no loss there but i do think it was way too hot. the egg was so hot that the table was peeling varnish where it is close to the egg. i agree with the other post, it seems like a little time passes then BAM, it goes nuclear all at once. when i put the lid on and closed the vent the egg seemed to start sucking and blowing from both points. Kinda startled me. Wont let that happen again.

BG
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I made a crude graph from measurements I took of time and temperatures. Essentially, the heat growth is exponential. Assuming you have the air flow, the turning point seems to be around 450. Below that, 100 degree temperature increases occur in (many) minutes. Above that, seconds.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    that platesetter is forcing the heat back down, if it was 750 with the plate setter in there you probably had a 1000 degree fire under it in there. remove the plate setter and you would have had blue flames coming out the top at night.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Will need to get a fireman, or someone who knows this stuff, to confirm, but once I heard a house fire will double every 11 seconds - or something like. It was a really short amount of time - as long as there is oxygen available.

GG
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    saw a house start on fire a few years ago on the lake, windy day, saw a small fire outside the house and thought, who would be burning today. a few seconds later it climbed the house, called it in, within the ten minutes it took for the dept to get there it caved in and two more were on fire, all three lost in a matter of minutes. same fire department, mill building behind it burnt to the ground, just this year the restaurant beside it bunt down, might have something to do with tha dept :laugh: :laugh: fire moves fast
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it