Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

semi OT - granite mortar and pestle

Options
Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,512
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
after grinding roasted cumin seeds my porous granite mortar and pestle picked up the smell that won't go away. can i seal it with granite countertop sealer to 'mask' the smell and prevent picking up new smells in the future? thanks.
Gary
canuckland

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    well, you'll be grinding a little sealer each time, re-exposing the cumin

what have you done to wash it? bleach and soap 9even the dishwasher) shouldn't hurt it
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BoroBGE
    BoroBGE Posts: 30
    Options
    It wouldn't hurt. I previously was in the granite business, so I am familiar with the many sealers out there. You are going to want an impregnating sealer, so it will actually wick into all of the pores. Any sealer you buy from your hardware store will need reapplication about twice a year.

This is all spoken from someone who has experience in countertops, so it could be a whole different ballgame for the M&P. Let us know your results. Good luck!
  • Canugghead
    Options
    stike, i've only used water, gonna put it in dishwasher next time but bleach?... i'm afraid to go that far :blush:

BoroBGE, i'll seal it after washing in dishwasher and drying. i would think it needs retreating more frequently than twice a year though, you don't grind stuff on countertop :woohoo:

Gary
    canuckland
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Gary,

I wouldn't seal it. If you clean it the smell will fade with exposure to air. I have a couple of polished granite ones I will happily trade for yours. They just don't work as well.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    why?

just use lemon and salt then, like a cutting board.

you aren't supposed to seal a mortar and pestle.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Dammit, I had him eating out of my hand there

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    mines soapstone, turned from a dark slate color to a psychodelic green when i ground up some turmeric in it :laugh: i dont taste it grinding other spices in it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Canugghead
    Options
    guess it's my ignorance, i instinctively associate bleach with laundry, drain cleaner and such.

just followed your advice of washing with lemon and salt and voila! the smell in the pestle is gone and just a trace lingers in the mortar, air drying should take care of that.

really appreciate your help!

Gary
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    haha, nice try!
    canuckland
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    Grinding up dry rice will also remove/absorb lingering odors. Pound it to a powder then brush it away.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I thought that was what was supposed to happen! Ever read up on how to prep a Molcajete?

Lava rock...
    molcajete-mortar-pestle.jpg

Try sealing THAT!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Canugghead
    Options
    thanks for the heads up Michael, just watched couple of youtubes on how to season a mocajete, very interesting/educational.
    Gary
    canuckland
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    I keep meaning to get one, but haven't yet. Son's birthday is coming up and he wants one too. Maybe I'll buy two and practice seasoning on his. hahaha

If I had one, perhaps even I could learn to like avocado. But don't tell Judy Mayberry. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Secret Santa, Secret Santa, Secret Santa, let me draw Michael's name....
    Judy in San Diego
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    When I got one like in your the picture many years ago, I was told to grind rice to a powder to "season" it. The rice powder was really dark and dirty by the end, so I really scrubbed it. It never made the guacamole dirty looking after that, but anyone who uses one of these should give it a good cleaning!
    Judy in San Diego
  • Canugghead
    Options
    i got this one ...
    http://www.fresco-intl.com/products/view/mm-granite-mortar-and-pestle
    guess it's in a different category because i just went through the rice grinding seasoning process THREE times, the ground rice powder came out snow white from start to finish. don't want to grind in garlic, salt and coriander/cumin as shown on youtube though.
    Gary
    canuckland
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Gary:

I was referring to the molcajete pictured in Michael's post, not your granite one. It's a rough, completely different type of finish and stone than yours is.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Gary, molcajetes need to be seasoned. The type you have does not.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Canugghead
    Options
    Judy, I realised that, just wanted to share my rice grinding experience to illustrate one of the differences.
    Gary
    canuckland
  • boston_stoker
    Options
    If you get tired of using the mortar, try using a coffee bean grinder. Sorry, I can't help with your immediate problem.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    yes i have an old, spare coffee grinder for spices. just need to remember not to try grinding chunks of lumped brown sugar again, don't ask how i know :blush:
    canuckland