Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - GSD's

Options
Slick
Slick Posts: 382
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Griffin asked about German Shepherds on the forum.

Looks like we have a few!

This is Ruby and Gunnar. Ruby (left) was a 10 yr. old sable that we lost to degenerative myolopathy in October. Gunnar is 5 and needed a new playmate, so Lexi joined us in November and is 6 months old.

DSCN0010.jpg

18feb718.jpg

I've owned a lot of dogs in my life and all were great, but there is something special about a Shepherd.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Very special friends.
    How cool.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Got my heart.. so cute!!
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Great pics
    Lexi looks like a great addition :)

Shane
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    love shepards, had a few, the best one i had was root. he was young in this pic, made 18 by a couple days

root.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Our Joe is training his eventual replacement. -RP

IMG_2083.jpg
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the loss of Ruby. As most of the regulars will tell you I can sympathies with you. Lost a lot of my "kids" the last year and half. Auron sure has added happiness to it. Like you said I have had dogs all my life but first Shepherd. Completely different. I love how one dog at 9 months can all ready go from high drive one min. then lay up with my 14 year old niece the next.
    Copyof030711164331.jpg

christmas2010019.jpg
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    18 YEARS OLD!!! That is just amazing!
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Randy is that his pup? adorable. ;)
  • jaymag_87
    jaymag_87 Posts: 111
    Options
    I love dogs.

“It would have been better if men and dogs grew from boyhood and puppyhood together, and in so doing pass on together. However, nature is not so ordered. So long as there are dogs and men, dogs will die, and men will weep for them."

-- Burton Spiller
  • AZRP
    Options
    No but they really look alike. -RP
  • Slick
    Options
    Wish I had the energy and time for Shutzhund training. Ruby would have done well. Very high drive. Father was working line, mother was show line. Her "funtion" was to protect me at all times, and if I was home, she was never out of my sight. Since my wife fed her, she tolerated her, but her bond was to me. It was the kind of thing that all kids dream about and I had never experienced with any other dog. Gunnar, on the other hand, is a Golden Retriever at heart! Gentle giant, but his job is to protect the house and property. Always lays by a door or window so that he can watch over his domain.
  • Slick
    Options
    Eighteen would be awesome! We have a 15 y.o. Golden, and can't bear the thought of losing another one.

Randy, what breed is your giant? Neopoliton Mastiff?
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Yep. Shepherds are great. I'd rather have this dog than a gun. (Hopefully, you can see it. It's an antimated gif).

dog.gif

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• fishlessman
    Options
    a rabies shot took his system down, ill never give shots to an older dog again. at 15 he would get lost on my 1/10th acre property, got the brit and he came back to life big time. root was last pick of a litter of 12 and i dont think he was much more than 4 or 5 weeks when i got him, the mother refused to feed all those pups
    fukahwee maine

• AZRP
    Options
    Joe's little brother was from a litter of 22, 11 of them didn't make it. -RP
  • fishlessman
    Options
    wow, thats a big litter. never thought of it before but wonder if some breeders might be using those fertility drugs now with the price of dogs. would hate to think they do but can easily see it happening. friend of mine popped out triplets last spring on those
    fukahwee maine

• Vetereggnarian
    Options
    I see a lot of working shepherds. Most of them are pretty pleasant to deal with, one I even make sure to have my daughter around when he comes in. All the handlers can tell at least one story about having the dog save their skin.

RP is killing me with the mastiff pix, though. Finest dog I ever had.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    This was my first boy, Damian Von King (papers said he was from the King line, but I was just a college kid and only wanted a companion) He lived to 8 before passing on. He was 105lbs at his greatest weight.

dogs008-1.jpg

After I that, I rescued this guy, Gunther, from the pound, but he suffered severe seperation anxiety, could escape from any kennel and destroyed our house. He was only with us one week. Damage done - two destroyed kennels, three curtains, 4 blinds and broke out a window. Notice this was before I got an egg? (two grills in the pic)

P2260016.jpg

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin
    Options
    Here is our current boy, Oliver (Olie) He's been with me since he was about 7 months. I knew the girl that had him before, she had him and his sister, but couldn't keep both of them, so he came to live with us. He's about to turn four.

P1020101.jpg

P1010814.jpg

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    Options
    The day I got Olie.

PA300074.jpg

A couple years later, we got him and his sister together to play.
    Dogs002.jpg

Rowlett, Texas

• AZRP
    Options
    Never thought of that, I would hope a vet wouldn't prescribe them. -RP
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

One of my favorite breeds. Sorry for your lose of Ruby. I have never had a Shepard but when I was a kid our neighbor acquired one from the city (Boston) named Chief. Chief had to leave the city as he had learned to dislike uniforms so he came to live in the country. He was huge. His owner was 6' 3" and Chief could put his paws on his shoulders and look him in the face. He was I guess what you might call silver and black. He watched over both our houses even though they were not in sight of each other and was a great friend to this young boy. :)

Blair

• Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    Great pics, we have a little sable baby
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • Slick
    Options
    Sables are cool! Really interesting to see how their colors change as they mature.
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Here is one in white :)
    Hope no one ever tries to get in the house. :evil:
    Without me here to pull him off :laugh: :laugh:
    Holloway-1.jpg

Shane
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I always enjoy the pics of Joe. I would love a GD. Has he had any hip issues like some large breeds?

Just say no to lap dogs. :laugh: