Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT's - To smoke or not to smoke

ChrisC
ChrisC Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
That is the question - Just checking public opinion - who adds smoke - i.e chips or chunks when cooking ABT's and if so what flavors???[p]Thanks,
Chris

Comments

• ChrisC,
    Funny you should ask. I just made some for my sickly neighbor and smoked them with some hickory left over from an earlier cook. I didn't eat one but they sure looked and smelled good. I normally do not smoke my ABT's. As with anything, try variations and pick the one that best suits you and your family/friends.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• ChrisC
    ChrisC Posts: 107
    Spring Chicken,[p]Thanks I am still new - I made them once and they came out great and now I am trying more and I cannot remember - today I am starting a journal to try to keep track. Either way I am sure they will be great.[p]Thanks again,
    Chris

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Spring Chicken,[p]I mad'em like you do this past week and used a few maple chips and gtlazed them at the end with some Grade B maple syrup!![p]My wife said I was a genius!![p]"It's just the peppers"!!.. I started to say...then I wised up shut up.... and smiled as she gave me my just rewards!![p]Evans(slightly blushing)
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • ChrisC,
    I use a little apple wood and it gives a great flavor to the bacon.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    ChrisC,
    if you read my earlier post today I made ABTs today and I smoke them along with baby back ribs and used 50/50 apple chips and hickory chunks. I much prefer them smoked over not smoked. Today was a first for me - the meat I used tucked in the boat bottom was Armour brand Vienna sausage. - perfect to have on hand - in the past I've always used pulled pork or chili dog sauce - I got the idea of the little weenies from Spring Chicken - not that he's a little weenie mind you...8^)
    PS Vienna sausage is what you meant wasn't it Leroy - or not?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Sipsome.jpg
    <p />RRP,[p]Not trying to speak for our "Feathered Friend"...but I'm pretty sure he uses "coctail smokies".[p]The little beef or pork smoked sausages!![p]Hillshire farms also has a pork "smokie" with Cheddar cheese inside...(sorta like their "CheddyBrats"). I used some this last week!! [p]
    I doused this batch with a little Calvados, and smoked with apple wood
    ....mmm...mmmm...good!![p]The Wife will almost beg for the ABT's now...she's shamefull!![p]Good evening to you!![p]Chubby

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • RRP,
    Little winnie, huh? I represent that remark very much.[p]Spring "Chicken Little" Chicken

• Chubby,
    Has she seen your posts on the BGE forum? Man, if Tammy did, well it would be awhile.[p]I go with Oscar Mayer beef, they also have a cheese one.[p]Mike

• Chubby,
    You must be doing something right. Even your pictures look good enough to eat. I've got a feeling you are going to have a sizable crowd hanging around you at the Texas Eggfest.[p]Spring "Austin Bound" Chicken