Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp Help!!!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, the butts and the brisket went on at 12:30 this afternoon. It's now 7:45 pm and they're showing a temp (all) of around 173 degrees. I'm planning on serving them at 3-4 pm tomorrow.[p]Any gestimates???

Comments

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    goldencoop, And dome temp is?

• sigmore,[p]dome is running about 260...
  • Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Options
    goldencoop,[p]You didn't believe me did you! If you get the dome temp down to 200-225, you might make it till morning. I'd get your foil, pans, cooler(s) or anything else you plan on holding them in ready just in case they finish during the night. It's bad enough having them finish too early AND dig all the that stuff out in the middle of the night. If you do get all that stuff ready you have a better chance of them taking until 8 or 9 in the morning to finish though.
  • Yazoo,[p]I BELIEVED!!! I don't know what happened or why, but for the first time since I started using an egg, I had trouble keeping the temp down. Early in the cook the dome temp skyrocketed to about 375. Even the Guru went up to about 275 even tho I had it set to 220. For the past 6 hours everything's been holding steady with a Guru temp of 220-225 but with a dome of 275.[p]If they finish early, which I figure will happen, how long can I hold them wrapped in foil in towels and a thermal cooler?[p]Thanks and UGH.
  • Yazoo,[p]Oh yeah, any suggestions on how to lower the dome temp???
  • Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Options
    goldencoop,[p]If they're wrapped in foil and covered with a couple layers of bath or beach towels, the temps should stay over 140 for several hours, at least long enough to get some more ZZZs. You can pull the pork when you get up rested (haa!). To get the temps down quick, you can try adding something cold to the egg, like a pot of ice or cold water. Don't pour it in obviously, just set it on the grate. You had a lot of food in your egg though. Maybe some cold bricks around the edges. Get the air flow correct too. If you're using a Guru, close the damper to restrict the ar flow. Close the daisy wheel too,
  • Yazoo,[p]2:30 am: wrapped 'em, towelled them and put them in a cooler. 7:30am sliced, pulled and wrapped em in foil. they look and taste great. only problem will be the re-heat.[p]Thanks for the help!!!