Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crispy Chicken

Medium-Rare
Medium-Rare Posts: 72
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Trying to get bite through crispy chicken skin on bone-in breasts. Any suggestions, cooking methods, temps would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Here is an ongoing program I have. Italian Bread crumbs or panko and flour seem to help. Still work in progress.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=993397&catid=1
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I don't do chicken breasts but here are a
    couple of tricks for crispy skin on any chicken :)
    Put your rub or seasonimg on it and chill it in the fridge uncovered for at least two hrs, this pulls moisture out of the skin.
    Cook as high in the dome as you can, temp 350-375.
    Do not open dome, do not flip.

Some folks like to put a light coating of corn starch on their chicken to help with crisping, but I have never tried it :)
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC09978cu.jpg

DSC08280c.jpg

Getting good skin on chicken is harder than you think. For many years I thought I had it.... then I tasted some competition grade chicken, and I just about started over. Heheheee.

The good news is.... skin on the breast is less fatty than the thigh skin, so this will work in your favor. I like to brine my breasts, but even if you don't like brining, at least season the chicken and let it sit in the fridge for 12 to 24 hours. This dries the skin. Then cook raised direct, or indirect, around 350° to 400° until the internal reaches 160°. This will be a good starting point. In about 20 years it will start getting close to where you want it.

DSC04403aajpgxx.jpg

DSC08884a.jpg

DSC01209arc.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Thanks everyone. I brined some breasts and cooked high up in the dome indirect at 400˚ and the skin was anything but crispy. I’ll try letting it rest in the fridge uncovered for a while and cooking at a slightly lower temp.

Thanks again!