Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hurdy Gurdy Jerked Paradise Jerky Heeeeee Bob Day

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Evenin' kind folk.
The jerked jerky was a huge success. I used a lot more of that Walkerswood jerk seasoning than they recommend but after 10 hours of cooking, the results were fantastic. I used Gfw's River City proportions for the soy sauce and brown sugar, and used maggi for half the soy sauce. I added two HEAPING tablsespoons of the Walkerswood Jerk seasoning. Maybe 1/2 tsp 5 spice, some ginger powder, and a tbsp of grains of paradise. The results were much better than expected, and a lot of spicy kick to it.[p]Did Heeeee-Bobs for dinner. Sliced pork tenderloin and round steak (London Broil) and marinated in oyster sauce, garlic, sesame oil, soy sauce and this killer LeKumKe Chinese Black Pepper Sauc. Cut up some yellow squash, orange peppers, vidalia onions, shrooms and marinated in sesame oil, soy, rice wine, sugar. Skewered the meat and veggies seperately, and grilled at 350 for maybe 8 minutes a side. Wonderful. As is life. [p]Cheers!!!
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    big4.jpg
    <p />Nature Boy,
    It's funny....all week I have been talking to COrnfed about attempting jerky..and I see this post of yours. WOW...that is some recipe I have to consider! With you and GFW's jerky recipes...i may just go crazy! Thanx for the info.
    In the meantime we have been doing veticles roasted chickens as part of our BBQ!...as the results of ours' last saturday is displayed.
    Keep that "heein'" goin! HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
    ST

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Nature Boy,[p]Sounds great, getting hooked on the jerkey? Its tough not to have some of that around once you've started eating it. I'm getting a brisket at the store this afternoon and plan on making some soon. I have a bit of that High Mountain seasoning to use up, figure I'll try it on the brisket to see how it flys.[p]Those Heebobs are great. Mine were MUCH less elaborate than yours but turned out pretty good. Those pork loin steaks that I marinated the other day turned into heebobs. The olive oil and fresh herbs added some nice flavor to them.[p]You say that you skewered the meat and veggies separately, did they cook for different times or were they all on the grill at the same time for the same amount of time?[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    sprinter,
    After I pulled off the jerky, the egg was at 200. When I brought it up to hotter temps to do the heebobs the fire was concentrated mostly on one side of the egg. [p]I grilled the meat over the hotter coals, and the veggies on the other side. Worked perfectly with nice charring on the meat, and very minimal charring on the veggies. I was planning on just cooking the veggies for a shorter time, but the uneven fire worked great.[p]Last time when I combined the veggies and the meat, the veggies were a bit overdone when the meat was cooked. [p]Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Nature Boy,[p]"Last time when I combined the veggies and the meat, the veggies were a bit overdone when the meat was cooked"[p]This is what I was trying to figure out. I've never been able to get the veggies and the meat done evenly when I skewer them together and thought you may have had some majical answer to this. The uneven fire answers the question. May be the answer for heebobs. Light the fire on one side and when its going well on that side, throw on the meat and put the veggies on the other side. [p]By the way, have you noticed on your egg that the back portion of the egg gets hotter faster than the front of the egg, and on my egg its substantially faster. When I'm getting up to searing temps (and only when I'm getting to high temps) the back of the egg is always glowing hot and the front of the egg still has some relatively cool coals. There must be that much air being sucked into it that it comes in the bottom vent and up the back of the egg, then out the chimney. If I do a slow temp rise then the fire develops right where I start it in the pile of lump. Just curious if you've noticed this on your egg at all. [p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    sprinter,
    Haven't noticed that. I do notice that the fire moves downward quickly and is concentrated near the bottom of the firebox at first....even when started on top.
    Seeya
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com