Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Guy to Egging

Options
jkinzel
jkinzel Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thought I would introduce myself, I'm John and I live on Fox Island, Washington. I have been reading the forums for several week and found this to be "the place" to come for BGE information and great people. I have been looking at the BGE for several month and just this week settled on a large after reading hours of information provided by this forum.

My current outdoor cooking gear consist of a broken down, but still usable gas grill, a 18 inch Weber and a Little Chief Smoker. The gas grill is going away, the Little Chief stays, that's my salmon smoker and the Weber, on the fence.

After the wife saw what a wreck the gas BBQ was, she gave me the "green light" to get a BGE. (yes, pun intended). The lumber is in the garage and Monday I'll start building the cart/table and maybe by the end of the week I'll have a BGE in my yard.

Thanks to everyone who contributes to the forum, the knowledge is priceless and the pictures of food, oh man, amazing. I've also had a lot of laughs.

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Welcome John! you are going to love your egg
    the best info you can ever find about them is right here in hours of reading. if you can not find an answer to a question in the search bar above just ask and someone will help you. and I bet the other cookers are not long for your deck when you get going on the egg LOL
    Julie
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Welcome aboard man! Fox Island....is that near Whidbey? Had some family stationed there recently. Still like to cook on a kettle when I'm at duck camp...keep it, it's a good grill...but you will learn to love your egg!
  • eggsrgreat
    Options
    You've got a great hobby ahead of you. You'll soon be getting rid of all your other outdoor cooking appliances
  • wkygriller
    wkygriller Posts: 408
    Options
    You have found the right spot for help and humor. Welcome to the group.I got my first egg last October and have never looked back. Once you get your large plan on getting rid of the other cooking devices you have used in the past :) Keep in mind once you get it we all love to see pics :whistle:
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Hi and Welcome!!

When I started with my first Egg, I had a very nice 4 burner/high BTU gasser and a Weber kettle. Well both became very neglected. I ended up giving them both away and I bought another Egg.

This forum is a lot of help and I've gotten so much good advice, I just don't know where to start.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Welcome from another WA Egger! :laugh:
    Be sure to post lots of pics!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Welcome John!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    welcome, John!
    Glad you found the BGE. I had a weber kettle when I got my first egg, kept it a couple of years, didnt use it, finally passed it on to my son.
    Have fun with your Egg!!
  • jkinzel
    jkinzel Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I will post pictures.

Brad, Fox Island is south of Seattle/ Tacoma, we are right next door to Mc Neil Island, the famous Federal then State penitentiary. They closed the prison the first of this month on the belief they will save money. BUT, they kept the sexual offender unit open so the still have to provide services and transportation. So where's the savings? Oh well, best they stay on that island.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Welcome.There is NOTHING wrong with a Weber(Kettle,not gas :sick: ).I got a few.They are not Eggs but they are handy to have around if you need extra cookin space. :)