Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

a Ham, help me recreate

hakalugi
hakalugi Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Gang,

about 5 years ago, after owning my egg for 3 yrs, I made an impromptu ham for Turkey day.

It wasn't fully cooked. Yet it wasn't raw from the farm. It was technically only the upper part of the shank. I did a boston-butt like mustard/sugar rub and cooked it to temp over about 5 hrs and finished with a bit of a heat blast to caramelize.

I had a journal with my notes and even some hard copy pics, and we've lost it (!).

I've been asked to recreate it - some of our Easter Guests were at this Thanksgiving 5 yrs ago and claim to think of this mysical wonder ham (it was effig awesome) yearly.

But I'm not sure if i can wing it again and get the same results.

Any input on the ham's "state/description" that I should look for? Temp/ramp info?

thanks!

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    Can't help you out with recreating your lost recipe, but, I can suggest an alternative. This one is pretty dang good, if I say so myself! :woohoo:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=1135
  • hakalugi
    thanks egret.

from your recipe's comments:

1) it is very well liked
    2) it seems i used a 'ready to cook' (smoked) ham and not ready to eat, as 2 of your commenters did as well.

is your drive to use the ready-to-eat one that it's easier to find? less to worry about?

that's what i was thinking 5 yrs ago, but then thought a ready to eat one would be tough if "double heated" - but guess not based on the rave reviews.

Thanks for posting.
  • hakalugi
    actually, my wife found it (she says i'm the worlds worst looker, i say she's just great at it)

base recipe: "Smoke and Spice" by Cheryl and Bill Jamison, page 78.

This one too calls for a ready-to-eat ham, and the ingredients are much like egret's, but they add a Glaze (and optional mop, which we did without). My wife recalls the glaze, though. So my paper notes and pics are gone, but the dog-eared and stained book provides the base to work from.

Seems the only thing I did differently was to use a ready to cook ham, as I recall it took 4 different store visits to find one that wasn't ready to eat.