Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Modernist Cuisine

gdenby
gdenby Posts: 6,239
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,

Just a small cry of anguish...

:( :( :( :( :(

Last August, I pre-ordered the immense cookbook, "Modernist Cuisine," and have patiently waited month after month while various delays kept the book from shipping.

For those who may know little about this, the 1st printing is 3000 volumes, but the 1st shipment was a mere 500. I thought I just might be one of the lucky early receivers. I checked last Wed., and saw that it was not shipped, but was supposed to have shipped the day before. Today, I happened to check my e-mail, and saw that Amazon had sent me a mail 25 hours earlier, saying I had 24 hours to remedy a problem with my payment method.

Arghh, last December, while out shopping, my wife lost our credit card, and we had another issued to us. I completely forgot the MC order.

So I re-ordered, and seem to have made it under the wire to get into the 1st printing. But the long wait is toooo much. Talk about lo-n-slo! I'll be melted by the time I get this thing.

Comments

• WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Bummer, sorry 'bout that! Hope it comes soon!
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    That was released today from what NPR said yesterday. It's $500, right? I'd love to have that!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • gdenby
    The pre-order from Amazon is $460, but the full price is $600. I believe the release date is tomorrow, because I was able to still re-order at $460. And, I evidently will still be in the first printing batch, which, according to Mr. Myhrvold was all but sold out as of yesterday.

I've been following the book's website, and reading the postings over at e-gullet, where Myhrvold posts, and have already learned a lot. Some of the info, I already knew, but there is a ton of new stuff in the book.

For instance, most of us know to rest our steaks after cooking. The standard reason is that it allows the juices to re-distribute through the meat. The book shows this to not be true. The real reason is that the de-natured proteins grab the juices, and form a coagulation that will retain the moisture.
  • gdenby
    I'd had a small hope that I might get it this coming week, because I would be able to get a little time off work to dive in. Oh, well, by the time it gets to me, I'll have some summer vacation.
  • cookn biker
    He was interviewed and I learned a few things also. The pictures sound great also.
    Post a pic when it arrives.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • Heard the NPR report yesterday then Googled it.
    Very impressive AND expensive!
    Have a chef friend, currently unemployed, that works in The Hamptoms each summer to learn all the newest techniques. He is so enthusiatic and Loves the science behind all the cooking theories
    The book reminds me of talking with him!
    Can't wait for a used version on Amazon ;)
  • Molly
    Google the book!
    Great pics!!
  • cookn biker
    I did. ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • gdenby
    I've been involved in a small way with the production of several art books. "MC" qualifies as something in that category. The pics on lacquered paper alone would usually cost as much as the book that is being offered.

I think most folks who are in on the first order are going to chain themselves to it for a few months, at least. After 6 - 10 months, I plan to find a chef that would like to have it, but only if its agreeable to pass it on. Or, maybe, just donate it to the local libraries reference section.
  • cookn biker
    My Mom and I wondered what libraries would fork out the duckets to have 1. :laugh:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • cookn biker
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • GDenby -

Heard there is a recipe for a 175 degree roasted chicken in that book. Would love to hear more about that if you'd be kind enough to share the info. Many thanks in advance.

VC
  • chocdoc
    chocdoc Posts: 461
    The cost was less than $400 on amazon.ca back in October - so I switched my order from .com to .ca. I'd have it now if I'd left it with .com. If patience is a virtue - I must be virtuous.