Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large Chunks vs Small Chips of Wood

Chief
Chief Posts: 154
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok you Humpty Officinados....can you use the large chunks of hickory vs the small chips? Are there any precautions?

Comments

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Chief,[p]I use the large chunks (Weber Firespice) when I want sustained smoke over a long cook; chips if I want a burst early. For pork butts & ribs I usually use a handful of apple chips & a few hickory chunks. Chips work best if they're soaked; I don't bother with chunks.[p]Cathy

• Chief
    Cat,
    Thanks me lady..I shall try your way. I want to do some smoking and the chips just aren't enough

• Chief,[p]I usually go out to the homo depot and pick up one of the large bags of chunked hickory wood and I do soak them before I throw them on the big green blob. One chunk seems to smoke for hours and the flavor has always been superb. That is my 1.5 cents worth. Rock on.

• Chief
    hudson,
    thanks...that's where I am getting it...I will try it

• Chief
    Cat,
    tell me about these Penzey's spices yall speak about...way down here in Florida we haven't heard about these

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Chief,[p]I prefer chunks and I do soak the wood, usually overnight, before I use it. I've actually been going through some hardwood cherry that I used on a furniture project last winter. I have about 15 or so board feet of 5/4 wood thats useless for anything else but burning (split and warped) so I've cut it into about 2x2 chunks and I've bene using it lately, I love the flavor that cherry wood gives to things.[p]Troy
  • Chief
    sprinter,[p]After you are done cooking on Humpty do you remove the leftover chunks?

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Chief,
    For low and slow, I always use chunk like sprinter. For quick smoke flavor or to freshen up smoked meats, I will use pellets or chips. If I am planning to do a really long cook, like pulled pork, I will select a chunk of wood that has a knot in it. A chunk of oak with a knot will burn and smolder forever.[p]There is no need to remove the unburned chunks after a cook. Chances are that they are now charcoal, Even if they are not, it is just an added fuel for the next cook since most of the smoking qualities are already gone.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Chief,[p]For the most part, no I don't. I like a LOT of smoke so occasionally there are a couple of good size chunks that I'll take out, half burned etc. If I'm using the same wood then it stays in the cooker. I'm generally only worried about it if I'm using a different wood to cook with.[p]Troy
  • Chief
    RhumAndJerk,
    Thanks....see what ya can learn when you ask people who know. Now I can impart your knowledge to my neighbors and friends....