Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Butts are On!!!!

Options
Bagger722
Bagger722 Posts: 81
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys, here goes my first BUTT cook. My butts are not too big, :lol: about 6 pounds each. So I started them early this morning and I'm hoping that they will be finished up around 7PM this evening. Will post some more pics once all completed and ready to tear into it!!!

Hope everyone enjoys the beginning of the weekend. This is my first weekend off in about a year so I'm pretty excited. Woke up to beautiful clear skies, still cold but nice.

web.jpg?ver=12999366330001

Comments

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Hey Al, da butts are lookin' good! Don't forget they will hit a plateau at about 160º internal and can stay there for a number of hours, their internal temp may even drop a little. I have had them hit more then one plateau before reaching the magic internal of 195º. ;)

What temp are you cooking them at? Just curious.

Have a great weekend,

Blair

• Bagger722
    Options
    Hey Blair, thanks for the information. Reading everything I can about this cook. Been looking forward to doing one for months and just haven't had the time.

I set my dome temp to 250˚. RIght now I'm looking at my ET-732 and the BBQ temp reading is 255˚ and I took a skip outside while typing this and my dome temp reads 200˚. I'm not quite sure which one to go by as this is my first real time using the Maverick. I have another post about the temp differences that I have noticed using it the two times that I have.
  • Egghead Willie
    Options
    Al,
    Good Luck with the cook. Picked a great day for it.
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hey Al, if your butts were cold when you put them on they will draw the temperature of the egg down considerably, don't sweat it. Do not try and compensate for it but be patient and it will come back to the original temperture providing nothing else figures in. It is easy to get lured into chasing you tempertures and we all do it in the beginning. Rib's will do the same thing.

HERE are a couple boston butts I did bout a week and a half ago. HERE is what I did with them. ;)

Blair

• Bagger722
    Options
    Yeah I've learned that in the past. I have become used to dialing in the temp and letting it stay for about 30-45 mins before I put the meats on. I know they will suck some of the temp out and I've played the chasing game a few times.
  • Bagger722
    Options
    Blair, I saw those posts and boy do they look good. Can't wait for mine to be done to pile some on a roll and dive in!!!
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hahahahaha, I think it is some sort of right of passage that we all must endure, glad it's behind you.

Blair

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Congratulations on your first weekend off and your first butt cook.

You are looking at about a 9 hour cook plus the rest if your are cooking at 250° dome. They are done when they are fork tender which will be about 195° - 200°.

Take more pictures and have some good eats.

GG
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Wooo Hooo - your butts looks fine to me - hope you post finished pics too! Enjoy this wonderful weekend. :)
  • Bagger722
    Options
    Ohhh, has it turned out to be a beautiful day. Sun is shining, have some jazz and blues playing in the kitchen. Just got back from Costco and picked up a number of things. Making my little girl some lunch now, wife's tidying up the house, and then taking it easy till it's time for dinner.

Here's how we are looking so far.

web.jpg?ver=12999577040001