Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Method to use less lump in large??

Options
wmd36
wmd36 Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I feel like i have seen a picture of some type of grate or lump holder that fits into the Large. When only cooking say, 1 steak, i would like to be able to use less lump then having to fill up the entire egg?? Does anyone know where these can be purchased??

Comments

• ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    make your own.... use several fire bricks to form a smaller fire pot.... use some metal....use your imagination!.... rr
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Instead of filling my large egg full of lump to sear a steak I us a spider purchased from ceramicgrillstore.com and a small cast iron food grid from Big Green Egg. Doing so I get my egg to 400F dome and depending on the size of the steak I sear on each side and the temps of the grid is very high like 900F to 1200F. Then I will pull the steak out and raise the grid and finish the cook to the desired internal meat temp. :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Something to think about. Loading the lump low in the fire box and then cooking at normal grid level would probably take more BTU's to heat the cavityt and cook the food than loading the lump to close top of the firebox and or mid fire ring. The heat will be closer to the food and less air space that needs to be heated in order to heat the ceramics.

2Fategghead has a great solution for searing and then cook meat. For me the spider is a needed accessory for the egg.

About a year, maybe 2 years ago there were a lot of posts with people making lump pans as ranger ray mentioned above. Some used SS salad type bowls then drilled holes throughout and others took a grinder and made long cuts from top to bottom in the bowls to allow air flow up through the lump. Both said the idea worked really well for them. I don't know what words to use to search out those old posts. You might try 'lump basket' or 'lump bowl'.

I use the spider and a medium grid or just load the lump up and cook, then snuff the fire out.

I did put some felt around all my ceramic lids to get a complete seal and hopefully snuff out the burning lump quicker.
    gasket4.jpg

Poor gaskets will allow o2 into the lump bed for a slower shut down.

If you don't have any old gasket material around you could pick up some thick felt, elmers glue and fabricate your own seal for the ceramic cap, or, use a couple of layers of aluminum foul over the top dome than put the ceramic cap off. That worked for me for a long time.

GG
  • Smoking Coles
    Options
    You could use a large coffee can and drill holes in the bottom to make it a smaller "fire box". You can also take some type of metal, fire bricks or cast iron and section off half or part of the fire box and just use the sectioned off half to house the charcoal. All of the other suggestions are viable as well.
  • outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    Options
    i had the same problem, so i bought a small and that solved the problem... i usually cook for two and the small is a great egg... should have made the purchase couple of yrs ago... i have not used large in two weeks,

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• transversalInactive
    Options
    Just did that very thing to mine this evening, Grandpa, before I grilled the salmon for dinner. The seal made a lot of difference in the temp control department.