Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bay window moister help

Options
cookn biker
cookn biker Posts: 13,407
edited November -1 in Off Topic
Had this put in 5 years ago.

[IMG]http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss304/red_baron128/2011/Baywindowsilldamage006.jpg[/IMG How do I remedy this problem. Hope the pics show the issue.[/img]Baywindowsilldamage001.jpg

Baywindowsilldamage003-1.jpg

Baywindowsilldamage001-1.jpg

What the heck is the black stuff on the frame, mold?

Baywindowsilldamage003-2.jpg

Thank you.
Molly
Colorado Springs
"Loney Queen"
"Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    You live where it's dry, right? No condensation on the insides of any windows?

If so, that means any water must be a leak

Bay windows can often leak. Take some pics if you can of the outside condition, namely whatever roof there is, and any visible flashing

I think you have a minor leak.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    looks like a bad install job. probably (like stike says) the flashing doesn't run all the way across the top or isn't there at all.

Could also just need a bead of caulk along the vertical edges and a coat of paint. Certainly a nuisance leak, but will eventually cause some rot if you don't get it sealed.
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Dry climate, yes. I have see condensation on this paticular window, not alot, but some on minus temps. Times 6 years though..

Baywindosillissues004.jpg

Baywindosillissues002.jpg

Baywindosillissues001.jpg

Thanks Jeff. I appreciate your input.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Caulk along the outside or inside? There is no paint on the oak.
    I really suck at this stuff.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • stike
    Options
    Well. I'm a thousand miles away. But looks like the shingles don't have a metal bit of flashing under them ( a drip edge)

That will help get drips and rain a bit further away

You have water coming down, clinging to the window, and coming in the bottom. Looks like mold/wet on the exterior right where the interior mold is

Buy three bucks worth of drip
    Edging and slip it under the last course. You want to create a break for the rain to drip clear of the window

That's what it looks like, but again, hard to tell without being there

Try that. Run a hose over it before and after to see if there's a difference
  • stike
    Options
    And seal it from the outside. Not the inside
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Yea, I should have been more clear about that.
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Thanks, I'll call the guy that put that on for me... :laugh: :laugh:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • cookn biker
    Options
    I had a friend do that for me last year. I'll let the roof guy know. I appreciate you guys!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • stike
    Options
    Not really.
    Although if it's from condensation, you might want to run a bead inside.
    Hard to say without being right there

Looks minor anyway, cooknbiker
  • stike
    Options
    Ah. I thought it was an older install. If you have a guy handy who actually put it in, ignore my long-distance wild guessing and just ask him for a look. Hahaha

He may have done everything right, and somethin else is up.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Molly,

Here's what I don't like about the picture.

fb87880b.jpg

It looks like that line is the upper edge of a "L" shape or a "U" shaped piece of metal or plastic. You never want a detail in your exterior to have a negative flow into or towards the interior. Everything should flow water OUT and DOWN, not in.

If that line the arrows are pointing to is, how it looks, so that you could slide a knife into (from the top) the gap (that is probably caulked) and behind that metal, that my dear is most likely your problem.
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Thank you for your input and the mean text. :laugh: B)
    Happy? :P
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I guess you didn't get the joke. :S