Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Today is a sacred day in Texas

Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited November -1 in Off Topic
175 years ago at dawn on March 6, 1836, Santa Anna's army scaled the walls of the Alamo and put Davy Crockett, Jim Bowie, Wm. Travis and 177 other brave men to the sword.

One and a half months later, Sam Houston and his Texans surprised and defeated Santa Anna's army at the Battle of San Jacinto. The battle was over in 18 minutes.

Many historians consider San Jacinto one of the most important battles in world history, because it opened up expansion of the United States to the Pacific Ocean. The battle cry at San Jacinto was "Remember the Alamo. Remember Goliad"

1824-2.jpg

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Interesting.

Thanks!
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    "Remember the Alamo. Remember Goliad" God bless America

What's that green stuff all around the new looking concrete?

One more thing. Your flag pole lines up with the across the street house. To me that looks like your flag pole is standing straight up and down. Nice picture.

Have a great day Gary ;)
  • nuynai
    nuynai Posts: 101
    Texas, one of the last few free places in the USA. Being from NY, we'll never be free of government. Thanks for the info.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Thanks Gary for reminding me of the sacrifices of those men made. Years back I read a list of the men at the Alamo and was surprised at the number of names with Mexican descent! That in itself changed my outlook alot!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Thanks. Yes, I remember looking at all of the names too. It appeared to be a list from most states (at the time) and several countries, including quite a few from Mexico. Texas doesn't lay exclusive claim to the bravery and sacrifices made there. Tennessee even gets it's motto "Volunteer State" from the help they gave us.

Only one man fled the Alamo. Moses Rose, who was from France ('nuff said). :laugh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Alamo_defenders

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious