Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt cooking question??

Options
Bagger722
Bagger722 Posts: 81
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I think I may be over analyzing this but I figured that I would ask just to make sure. My cousin stopped by last week with a few pork butts with me. The packages have two in them and total about 12-14lbs. So each one must be around 6-7lbs.

My question is some of the recipes and cooking charts I have read say 1.5 hours per pound or I've read cook an 8lb. butt for 10 hours. Being that each one is 6-7lbs. and I'm going to cook two at a time, would I set my cooking time for the combined weight of the butts or seeing as there are two separate pieces would I cook for the 6-7lbs time?

Also, what recipe/way do you guys like to cook your butts? Open to suggestions.

Thanks again in advance for the help. :)

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    just figure 1 1/2 to 2 hours per pound based on the individual butt weights but cook to temp not time. Mine usually go over the 2 hour window
  • Bagger722
    Options
    So if I'm cooking both 7lb. butts, plan my cook time for the 7lbs. not the combined weight correct?
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Correct, just be sure they are not touching each other in the egg. :)
  • Bagger722
    Options
    Awesome, thank you guys very much. They are going to be next weekends project. Looking forward to it and having the weekend off.

Happy Eggin'!!!
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    Options
    The timing is a planning thing but seldom bears much of a relationship with reality. The suggestion of 1.5 to 2 hours per pound is a good working estimate. And, as has been suggested, if there's much contact between the two pieces of meat you timing will more resemble that of a single piece of meat.

The important thing is the internal meat temperature at which you pull from the Egg.
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    Big Al,
    The only difference in cooking multiple butts is that it may take a lttle longer to come back up to temp because of a larger cold mass in the egg. It DOES NOT make a difference if the butts are touching. NONE! ZERO!
    Butts start shrinking almost immediately so they pull away from each other. I put 2-paks on that are frozen to each other all of the time and it makes no difference. In the morning they will be 4 inches apart from each other. The touching thing is a myth.