Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cholestrol numbers going down with the BGE!

Da Kine Green BBQ
Da Kine Green BBQ Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did a search on "cholestrol" and found nothing - maybe this should be in the off topic or diet place.

Anyway - Anyone else notice their bad cholestrol going down since using the BGE?? I was over 300-something and noticed over the last 9 months, my numbers have been going down.... today's check: 179, within the normal range!

EDIT-
Thanks to Fidel who pointed this out:
The bad news is that my HDL number (the good stuff) is very low, at 25. It needs to be up in the 40 or more range. More fish is needed. Time to plank up some more salmon!

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Are those numbers your overall or just your LDL numbers?

179 overall is pretty good, but the LDL v. HDL number is more important. I get mine checked again in about 10 days - annual physical time.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    I lost 45 lbs. The first 18 months I owned mine, combination of several things but lots of grill in...
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • That's great news! Do you cook on the BGE everyday? I'm relatively new to the egg, only having had my large for about 3 weeks now. I've done about 22 cooks now, mostly pretty good, but some that need more practice. I'd be interested in knowing what you have been cooking and how. I could stand to lower mine, too!
  • Good for you! The pounds just melted off in the BGE. ha!
  • Fidel wrote:
    Are those numbers your overall or just your LDL numbers?

179 overall is pretty good, but the LDL v. HDL number is more important. I get mine checked again in about 10 days - annual physical time.

Fidel -

Yes, you are correct. I should edit that post. I have a yuky score for the HDL cholestrol, it is 25... Should be greater than 40 for me. My doc has me on pharmacy grade fish oil, to get that number up . . . meantime, looks like I need to make more planked salmon!
  • Indiana Egghead wrote:
    That's great news! Do you cook on the BGE everyday? I'm relatively new to the egg, only having had my large for about 3 weeks now. I've done about 22 cooks now, mostly pretty good, but some that need more practice. I'd be interested in knowing what you have been cooking and how. I could stand to lower mine, too!

Indiana -
    Actually, I got my Large BGE in something like June... was on a medical leave (carpal tunnel surgery) for 3 months. Got bored, the office said I am not to do any work at all, since I was on a medical - so - BBQ'ed every day practicing on the BGE.

I made steaks, pork and beef ribs, tri-tip, pork loin, and chicken in several ways. Made salmon on a cedar plank once, but I gravitate to the red meats, hence my cholestrol problem.

So, I thought all this beed and pork is gonna kill me - but what a surprise on my earlier visit to review my tests! Bad stuff went down!

So I thought - must be a fluke. . . continued to BBQ.

A test after that one - same thing - bad stuff continuing to go down!

Most recently, after the 9th month - it is 179.

Getting most recipes from the Steven Reichlin book (BBQ University and Primal Grill on the TV and the books, How to Grill and Barbecue Bible.

Before the BGE, just did steaks, hot dogs and burgers. Ribs were boiled first then burnt on the fire and dunked in sauce. Chicken never worked for me on the grill. But learning proper techniques and using the BGE really turned around my cooking.

So, continue to use the Egg, and let us know what you've done, and don't forget pictures!

Cheers,
    wayne