Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick question on a Fresh Ham...

Options
SSDawg
SSDawg Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
They were on sale at Publix yesterday, so I picked up a 9 pounder, just for kicks. Does anyone know if there is anything crucial I should know prior to slapping it on the egg at 225? Does it take less time, or will it dry out, etc? I'm just hoping it will be pullable sometime early tomorrow afternoon, and I'm working on the assumption that it won't take much leess or more time than a butt/shoulder of similar size.[p]Thanks, in advance.

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    SSDawg,[p]Treat it like a regular roast. I'm not sure if there is that much fat and connective tissue to do a low and slow. We did one, treating it like a roast, cooking it at 325º. Took a while but it was wonderful. Don't expect it to taste like a pre cooked ham you buy at the store.
  • SSDawg
    SSDawg Posts: 69
    Options
    Sundown,[p]How long did it take at 325? I was expecting something akin to barbeque, not a cured ham. Were you able to pull yours?
  • SSDawg,[p]An uncured ham isn't very good for pulled pork as it has very little fat. They are better to use for slicing at a lower finish temp. And yes, they will dry out.[p]Dave

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    SSDawg,
    Nope. We sliced it. The flavor was just great though. And I don't really remember how long it took. I'm going to do another one soon and will roast it to about 160º internal. I'll try to make note of the time although it won't help you right now.