Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two Rib Questions

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have two rib questions; one for spare ribs and one for a rack of lamb. [p]First the spares... When applying the 3-1-1 method, is it necessary to foil wrap each rack of ribs individually or will tossing them in a tin pan and covering it with foil achieve the same results?[p]Now the rack of lamb... last weekend I tried my first rack of lamb and it was unbelievable! After marinating the racks I rubbed them and seared them for 3 minutes per side over 650 degree direct heat and then finished them for 15 minutes over 350 degree indirect heat. My problem was during the sear. The racks were Frenched and the little protruding rib bones caught fire and burned to a crisp. It didn't bother the taste - in fact probably enhanced it - but they looked horrible. I am going to try the same method again this evening, but this time I will foil wrap the bones during the sear. My questiion is this; will foil wrapping the protruding bones save them from incineration, or am I wasting my time, or is there a better way to keep the bones from burning up?[p]Any suggestions will help. Thanks.

Comments

• ribsinfoil.jpg
    <p />Curious T,
    I've always foiled my babybacks that way. I have 2 butts on now that I will foil that way also. I add a little apple juice/bbq sauce mixture with mine also.[p]Can't help on the other.[p]CWM

• Wino
    Wino Posts: 69
    Curious T,
    My wife says my best cook on the egg is always rack of lamb. If you are following Nature Boys recipe, it is marinated in oil. That combined with any left over fat on the bones always catches fire. Had the same experience, only it was during a dinner party. Guests did not mind the lack of bone (it was completely burned off) because they still tasted GREAT! In answer to your question, I always foil the lamb bones now. No adverse effects at all.
    Keep on Lambing
    Wino

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    LambOnGrill.jpg
    <p />Howdy T
    With the spares, you can do it either together in the foil or individually.[p]On the lamb, it sounds like you might be nuking them a bit more heat than you need. I never had problems with the bones like that. I do it over coals though, not flames. [p]LambSear.jpg[p]Hope it helps! Happy cookin.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Curious T,
    I have always wrapped my racks individually but I am glad to hear that one cane put them in a pan. I am wondering about the 3-1-1 method you mentioned Could you tell me what that is? Thank you very much. Bob

• Wino
    Nature Boy,
    I have always followed your recipe to a T and have had eggsellent results other than the burning bones. What temp do you do the sear? I do it at Trex temp. Is this too much?
    Wino

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Wino,
    My dome usually reads somehwere around 600-700. A good established fire, and not a ton of lump, and I can get a good sear without the flames. You can also lay the bones so they are not over the hottest part of the fire. If you can't tell by looking at the coals, then you can tell with the palm of your hand which part of the grate is the hottest....meat goes there with the bones hanging over a cooler area of the coals. Even still, sounds like you musta gotten flameage. [p]Good luck! I need to do these again soon. Been a while.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • bkeller,[p]Funny you should ask... I just learned this one myself a couple of days ago. And actually, I meant to say 2-1-1. It was explained to me as 2 hours of indirect heat - 1 hour wrapped in foil/indirect heat - 1 more hour unwrapped either indirect heat or direct w/raised grid.[p]I'm going to give this all a try tomorrow before the game.
  • Wino,[p]Yes, I am using Nature Boys recipe and it is incredibly delicious! I didn't even know I liked lamb until last weekend. Now I think I'm turning into a coyote.
  • Wino
    Nature Boy,
    As you call them on your DP site” Lambsicles” are a must. I pick up 4 racks at Costco and spend an hour or two french trimming them. Then into a foodsaver so I always have Lambsickles when I need them. Thanks for the recipe.
    Wino