Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Lump is Good ---Not Good?

U2
U2 Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have read Royal Oak is good, but how about those 20lb bags of Mesquite Lump at the "Do It Center" for about $13.00 for a twenty lb bag??

Thanks in Advance---I know these newbie questions must be like groundhog day for the old-timers here--sorry

Comments

• asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    I use RO or BGE. I bought some of that cheap stuff and it was terrible. It was bad enough that my wife noticed the off taste and told me to never buy it again.
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    Naked Whiz's site has more information than you could shake a stick at.

Naked Whiz charcoal Reviews
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    What BB said. My fave is Ozark Oak!. :)
  • If you are new to egging, spend a couple hours here:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

Pay attention about flashback!!!
    ;)B)
  • Best all around lump for the money in Canada and flavour....Maple Leaf, it is rated on the Naked Whiz aswell. I enjoy ONO for beef, and Groveland Orange Tree is very nice light flavour. I sometimes buy Wicked Good, but my last few bags have sparked alittle to much for my liking but flavour it nice.

Marc

Hope that helps.
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    We have all been new at the start ;). I get mine from Ace Hardware in Oklahoma and I have been using Cowboy brand, it has worked very well for all the things I do from grilling to baking and when you join the Ace Rewards program they will send you $5.00 off coupons. So a 20# bag of lump is about $8.00! I will never buy the cheapest lump I can find again, learned that newbie lesson the hard way :ohmy: .

Like has been posted above the Naked Whiz site has all kinds of definitive information on lump.

Welcome to the forum! and the BGE is as much an addiction as it is a tool.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • I like dragons breath, it burns for a long time...also reviewed on the naked whiz
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag78.htm
  • I, like a lot of others on this board, prefer Royal Oak. It seems to be easy to get, but in some areas, it may be a seasonal item.

I've tried several of the cheaper ones, they are mostly mesquite and are very - harsh.

But I do keep some on hand when I do want that harsh and strong flavor of mesquite. Like with a rib eye steak.

Lump based on oak seems to be a bit more mellow to me - not neutral, but not over-powering to the flavor of what you are cooking. If you want a "smokier" flavor - you can always add wood chips, like hickory and that Jack Daniels wood chips. If you have a wood-working friend, you might ask him for some oak scraps to throw into your fire box. Just stay away from the resinous stuff like Douglas Fir or pine.

The Naked Whiz has a post / review of various charcoals - take a look, and try some others....

Here's a suggestion - you might want to try a small bag of what-ever lump you can get or at a nice price - I would avoid getting a 20 pound sack, since, you know, if you don't like it, you'd be stuck with a sack of - er - you know. . . .
  • U2
    U2 Posts: 27
    I will shop around and see what is in my area---Thanks!
  • greenfan
    greenfan Posts: 94
    I always use Ozark Oak. It is relatively local to me so it is inexpensive, and it also rates very high on the Naked Whiz web site. New lump tends to POP a lot when lighting with my torch, but I'm sure that all lump does.