Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to cook?

Bama Fire
Bama Fire Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The wife is out tonight for a business dinner. That leaves me alone with the green beauty for the most of the night. What a treat![p]My only problem is I don't have anything soaking up flavor in the frig. Any suggestions for a quick marinade or fast prep (under tow hours) tasty meal?[p]Sorry I haven't been posting lately: this newly-wed thing, plus business travel has kept me away from the EGG. Things are settling down a bit now, thankfully.[p]Bama Fire

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Bama Fire,
    Skewer up a pound or two of those beautiful shrimp that only you can get, sprinkle with Brucie’s Blend Zydeco and quick grill at high heat. That and a couple of cold ones and you are all set.[p]Keep it simple. Remember that you have to clean up after yourself.[p]Happy Grilling,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Chief
    Chief Posts: 154
    Bama Fire,[p]How about some nice marinated elephant....we Auburn fans always have some of that around.....War Eagle...also from B'ham

• Bama Fire
    RhumAndJerk,
    Cleaning up will be important. I'll need to put the empty beer bottles in the outdoor trash -- the wife never looks there. :-)[p]Unfortunately, my once full freezer, is now empty of all seafood. I have a trip to Pensacola planned to stock up on the shrimp. They're three to five dollars cheaper PER POUND! I see ten to twenty pounds in my future. YUM![p]Shrimp do sound delicious, though.....[p]any other thoughts?[p]thanks!![p]B~F

• Chief
    Bama Fire,[p]No kidding this time...what about a steak...takes only a few minutes and it does taste better with beer.....maybe a baked tater on the egg.[p]War Eagle from Panama City

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Bama Fire,
    Eat Steak.
    Eat Steak.
    Eat a Big Ol’ Steer.[p]Since you are out of your area’s delicacy, then you must go for steak covered in Brucie’s Blend.
    I keep going back to the Brucie’s Blend because I purchased some about a month ago and love it. You kept mentioning it so I finally got some.[p]Hope this Helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Bama Fire
    Chief,
    Couldn't find any elephant to cook. They never seem to die. But have seen many dead tigers and eagles littering the state.... Last November something must've happened down in Aubum. :-)[p]ROLLlllllll TIDE![p]Where in B'ham?[p]B~F

• Chief
    Bama Fire,
    Yea...it seems that our first year out with our new coach he doesn't understand the significance of the game...I'm sure he knows now!
    Mt Brook....currently live in Panama City....[p]War Eagle

• Bama Fire
    Chief,
    I'm from Mobile -- currently living in the "Mountaindale" Area -- just outside of crestline. Finding my house is a breeze -- start at crestline village and just follow the small of hickory.[p]Roll Tide[p]

• Chief
    Bama Fire,
    I have a sister who lives in Leeds.....
    If you ever down this way give me a call..we be drinking beer at Schnooners.....

• Bama Fire
    Chief,
    How 'bout Spinnaker? Party with thousands.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Wings_04_02_00_05.jpg
    <p />Bama Fire, why not try ChedRD's Chicken Wings. Preparation time is less than 2 hours and they go great with a couple of cold beers. Just a thought!

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Chief
    Bama Fire,[p]I'm a little too old for that place..but what a nice place to view things. Ever go to Golden Rule...what a nice BBQ sause.....

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    I fI were to cook tonight, I'd buy a package of chicken leg quarters (they're now something like $.39/lb at Giant!), cut them up, and grill them. You could marinate them in something simple, like Italian dressing, or McCormick's 30 minute maridades (a spice packet that you mix with vinegar, oil and water), or just rub them with your favorite rub and grill them.[p]I have leftover chicken from this weekend, but I might go buy a fresh package of quarters and grill them tonight.
  • Bama Fire
    Chief,
    I was at the golden rule two sunday's ago. My father-in-law loves it. I can create a much better product on the egg, though. I'm spoiled.

• Chief
    Bama Fire,
    Teach me to cook bbq that way.....
    Can you make sause that good????

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Bama Fire,
    When I find myself cooking for one I splurge on filet mignon, shrimp or lobster tails that I cook up along with other ( usually Southern-type) stuff that I seem to like better than Apple....
    And I never feel guilty! JCA

• Bama Fire
    Chief,
    Buy a nice 6 pound pork brisket. Slather with freches yellow mustard and coat with jj's rub. let sit in refrigerator for 2 days.[p]check out the recipe section and follow Elder ward's direction for fire building.[p]Get fire to a steady 225 dome temp. add three chunks of hickory. I cook over a pizza stone -- with the butt on a v-rack over a drip pan filled with beer and water. cook until the internal temp is 200.[p]Delicious!

• Bama Fire, me thinks he wanted to eat tonight, but then since you suggested 6# I get it...let him work up an bodacious appetite for a couple days! you da man!

• Bama Fire
    J Appledog,
    I think I'm gonna rummage through the meat department on the way home and see what looks the best -- then I'll cruise the sauce and seasoning aisle in search of inspiration. Maybe some ol' blue hair will hit me with her cart....[p]Hope that everyone has a happy eggin' evenin'.[p]Bama Fire

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    BluesnBBQ,[p]I actually like those McCormick's marinades. When you don't have a lot of time, they do a pretty good job of adding some flavor.[p]Heee,
    Cornfed

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Bama Fire, That is just what I did. - Found some beautiful little lamb chops on sale. And the fact that you shop also for specialty sauces and seasonings makes me happy... . That's what we like to hear! JCA

• Sandi
    Sandi Posts: 107
    Chief,[p]WAR EAGLE to you too![p]Wish I'd have known you were in P.C...would have hooked up with ya'll for a beer a Schooners this past weekend. Found my plate setter at Cox pools, btw!
  • Chief
    Bama Fire,[p]Thanks for the info....I have tried JJ's rub and didn't care for it on pork....but I will accomplish the remaining parts...
    War Eagle Bama Guy