Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Question

Options
GirlyEgg
GirlyEgg Posts: 622
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm thinking about doing ribs for a big family pot luck... so I'm thinking.... Could I ask the butcher to cut the ribs in half crosswise to make smaller portions?

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Sure you could..I'd be concerned with bone fragments when they were done cutting, and I really don't see where that would allow you to cook more..only serve less..I recommend you look at using extra grids to cook more rather than serving less...there are lots of options for getting more meat in the egg..
  • GirlyEgg
    Options
    it's not about having more meat... there will be about 5 meats there... Plus, I have gotten as many as 10 racks in my medium.... I'm actually looking for smaller portions... but bone fragments... hmmmmmm
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I'm assuming you meant to cut the ribs in half short end to fat end...that would mean they would be cutting every bone in the whole rack...I would also think if you wash them well any butchering remenants would be gone..including bone fragments..couldn't begin to tell you how they would cook other that just as normal but less time...if you do it let us all know the outcome...and I would wash them..
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Not trying to talk you out of your plans and I think it is interesting. ;)

After my ribs are cooked I cut them up. That way each person can have as many or as few as they want. When you eat one you have to hold the bone to eat the meat off from it. The bone is the handle. Just my thoughts. ;)
  • GirlyEgg
    Options
    I think I'm going to do a dry run this weekend...
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    That's a good plan Lynn. ;)
  • Indiana Egghead
    Options
    Do you already have the ribs? What about buying babybacks? There only about 3-4" bone length and are easy to handle. Plus they stand up in the v-rack just fine. Whatever you choose, I'm sure they will be great on your BGE.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    You could just buy rib tips and cook them. Would that achieve what you want for portions?