Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anybody there for some quick wing help?

Trouble
Trouble Posts: 276
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ignorance is bliss...here goes.[p]I have read "snip the tips." The wings I bought today have three segments, so two joints each. Should I discard all of the skinniest third of each one? [p]Then, there is a fair amount of skin associated with the joint between the meatier two segments. When I separate those two at the joint, should I trim off that skin?[p]Thanks!

Comments

• Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    trouble,[p]Some folks save the chicken fingers to make stock.[p]I've never trimmed any skin off. It's fatty, but good.
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    trouble,[p]No and No.[p]I never do either. But maybe I'm just lazy.[p]Sometimes (well, twice anyway) I stretch the wings out straight (all 3 sections) and thread one long skewer through to hold them straight. It makes a different presentation that some people like (but I don't think it is worth the effort just for presentation).
    Someone said "Men!" when I made that comment.[p]BOB

• Trouble
    trouble,
    thanks, folks. I knew I'd get the right answer here. All kinds of 'em :-)

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    trouble,[p]I always snip off the small tip at the joint and I do keep those for stock (in a baggie in the freezer until I get enough). I also separate the two remaining pieces into the "drummie" and "wing" pieces. I think it cooks more evenly that way, since the pieces lay flatter on the cooking grid.[p]A good pair of cooking shears is a fantastic tool for this, but if you don't have those, a good chefs knife will do just fine. You can feel around at the joint and can decipher where the ball meets the socket and cut through them there.[p]Hope this helps!
    Tonia
    :~)

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    trouble,
    To snip or not to snip?.....I've done it boyh ways. Used some snipped tips just the other day to make some broth for Tortilla Soup. It's sure no sin not to snip them. Heck, if you wanted to, you could even snip them twice,... then they would qualify as gourmet cuisine. Of course, you'd have to eat them with your pinkie finger pointed upward.[p]I've found that it ain't rocket science, but you might find that the tips get a bit crispy towards the end of the cook if you leave them on. Just elevate the grill and take your time...turning often to get them out of the hot spots and you'll do fine.[p]Sounds good![p]Mike

• Trouble
    trouble,
    LR and Qbabe, Thanks![p]That was great about eating with my pinky up. Kind of incongruous with the whole wing experience.[p]I have some good kitchen scissors, Qbabe, and just finished up. The wings are enjoying an aromatherapy session right now...some hanging out in Jamaican Firewalk and some in Raging River. The milder RR may go over well with my daughter--if not, it's my favorite flavor so there will be no waste.[p]It's the beginning of superbowl weekend here in Freakville, so I think I'll be eating primarily appetizers for the next three days.[p]Happy weekend everybody and thanks again.

• QBabe
    Trouble,[p]Firewalk wings are FANTASTIC! Just enough heat and sweet combination and a real favorite around this household. Don't rush them and you'll wind up with a nice carmelized crust that compliments them really well. [p]I imagine that Jax must be getting pretty crazy to be around right now. I used to live in Orange Park for a number of years, but the area has changed quite a bit since I moved in 1982. Have a great weekend![p]We're marinating some shrimp in a pineapple teriaki marinade that we won as a door prize at the Lakeland Minifest right now and enjoying some happy hour beverages. Still deciding what the cooks will be for Saturday and Sunday, but one thing's for sure, there will be egging involved![p]Have fun,
    Tonia

• Lawn Ranger
    Trouble,
    If you ever want a killer wing marinade....holler at me.[p]Mike

• QBabe
    Mike,[p]I do...and I'm hollering! Bring it on![p]Also, I need to get a QBabe handle for my NEW medium DEMO egg that I'll be adding to the collection at the Florida Eggfest in March. Any chance of getting an order placed so I can have it by 3/17 (when I leave for Ocala)? I want all my eggs well represented with Lawn Ranger handles (and that goes for the mini too)....[p]Give me a buzz when you get a chance so we can talk...[p]Cheers,
    Tonia

• Lawn Ranger
    QBabe,
    You've got anything you want!! I'm the sole parent tonight, but I'll get back to you in the next day or two. But, here's how I do my wings...measurements are approximations...
    6 oz. Balsamic vinegar
    3-4 oz. Worchestershire
    3-4 oz. Soy sauce
    4-5 Tbs. brown sugar
    4 Tbs. catsup
    1-2 Tbs. mustard
    1 Tbs. crushed red chili flakes
    and finally....I take a couple of canned Chipotle chilies with some of the Adobo sauce (puried)...and....[p]Mix all together and marinate the wings for several hours to overnight (I think that the balsamic is the key)....and reduce the remaining marinade down to use as a basting sauce durind a long, elevated cook....turning every ten or so minutes. [p]Not just for wings...great on pork chops, thighs and legs, too.[p]Be talking to you soon.[p]Mike

• QBabe
    Lawn Ranger,[p]Thanks a bunch! Talk to you soon...