Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: What Do I Know I am a Old Fart.

Pork Butt Mike
Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
With all the love you can see in here and the Tragedy. I hope it opens up a lot of peoples eyes. It's hard and believe me I know, to turn the other cheek when you don't agree with something. But sit back and count to ten before your rash out on anyone. Then ask yourself is it worth it. It's like the old saying Mom use to say if you have nothing nice to say then don't say nothing at all. This does not mean you have to agree with everyone but also it does not mean to rash out on them ether. May all your love and friendships spread to all.

But what do I know, I am just a Old Fart.

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Mike, unfortunately this ever present call for peace, harmony & civility is really an impossible dream. It’s a nice sentiment, but just has no basis in reality or history. People will always lash out, argue, & piss each other off. Repeatedly lamenting this state of affairs hasn’t changed human beings throughout the ages & won’t do so now or in the future. Seems better to simply accept it & forget about it
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    old or young. valid points and words to live by.

I don't know anyone personally on this forum. execpt maybe for the few people who got in on a bulk coal purchase a few months ago with me.

it takes more effort and energy to stay angry then it does to not. so simple, yet so true.

we all have disputes with people we know and or care for. everyone has the right to get upset...it's not ok however to show disrespect in return.

this has a been a good place for me. I enjoy it here. I hope it stays that way.
    context is important :)
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    100% Agree with the above. :)
    I love the forum and all who take the time to post and I don't care what anyone post about. If I don't like it I just move on and forget about it.
    Have a great day. :woohoo:
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i actually find the "call for peace" to be one of the more passive/aggressive hostile approaches.

repeatable lamenting how much better this place "used to be" is itself unfriendly.

it was never perfect. and it is unkind to constantly tell everyone who is here and who participates, that their presence is merely being tolerated and that "it was really better before you were here, just so you know."

i have to laugh at those who say they don't post anymore, because they don't like what the forum "has become"

easiest way to change that is to start posting and show us how it should be done.

what do i know. i probably missed the glory days by a week and a half.

heck, the light is dawning on me. maybe my arrival was like a deckhand on the Santa Maria bringing smallpox to the peaceable natives.

but i really think it was a newbie who joined right after i did. because when i first got here it was perfect (just to be clear, that's irony. i don't mean that. i mean it is what it is and it very likely is exactly what it WAS, too)

gotta love the maudlin winter doldrums. happens every year. though apparently just not back in the olden days
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Grumps
    Grumps Posts: 186
    I, for one, do not see anything passive/aggressive in PBM's post, and do not see where he or Zippylip say anything about the "good old days of this forum." I don't care what was posted ten years ago or yesterday, but I do think we should all try to make our next post a good one.
  • Zippylip
    It’s in our nature to romanticize the past. We currently live in tomorrow’s good old days, & when folks talk about 2011 in 2017 it’ll be the same talk about how much better it was ‘back then’, yet nobody is standing up embracing today as so great while we are actually in the moment.

I look back at high school days as being some of the best days in my life. But when I really think about it, I vividly recall the words “this sucks, I’m bored” coming out of my mouth every 30 seconds. Splain to me that phenomenon of human psychology
    happy in the hut
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Like I always say "The older I get, the better I was." :laugh:

It's true you know, I could skate like the wind.
  • Zippylip
    and I was fonzy :laugh:
    happy in the hut
  • stike
    wasn't talking about PBM...
    he didn't say thins were better in the old days.

man, i get tried explaining stuff all the time. people hate when i type lengthy posts, but they are damn clear. and the clearer they are, the more they are misunderstood.

:unsure:
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    stike, Iknow how ya feel I have been late for the good stuff all my life!!! But life is still good for me.
    JJ

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

I'm with you Jim, this place is my best loved community. Many of my friends are found here whether I have met them face to face or not, it matters not. The greatest reward for longevity here as I see it is that our friendships grow in quantity and quality.

These are tomorrow's good old days! Make of them what you wish to remember of them! Like many around here I have come close enough to dying enough times to realize just how short and precious life is. I know that every day, every hour, every minute (you get the idea) needs to be lived to the best of our ability. That doesn't mean that we have to be hero's and martyrs every moment but to at least make a conscious effort to make the brief time we have been awarded here the best! Life is not perfect and not every moment is going to be a Hallmark moment, we can show the grace to understand, forgive and forget when one of us gets bent for what ever reason. We have the great gift that a few great men have called compassion. It is not a sign of weakness but of strength. :)

Kumbayah my Lord, kumbayah
    Oh Lord, kumbayah

Someone's singing my Lord, kumbaya
    Oh Lord, kumbayah

Someone's laughing, my Lord, cumbaya
    Someone's laughing, my Lord, cumbaya
    Someone's laughing,my Lord, cumbaya
    Oh Lord, cumbaya

Someone's crying, my Lord, cumbayah
    Oh Lord, cumbayah

Someone's praying, my Lord, kumbaya
    Oh Lord, kumbaya

Someone's sleeping, my Lord, kumbaya
    Someone's sleeping, my Lord, kumbaya
    Someone's sleeping,my Lord, kumbaya
    Oh Lord, kumbaya
    Oh Lord, kumbaya

I hope someone brought the marshmallows, the egg is getting just right! :cheer:

Blair

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    i think on an open forum you can only make one small point at a time, maybe two in a post or things just get mixed up and lost. if its not clear enough in a sentence or two people reading seem to make presumptions on whats being posted instead of reading it thru. its like the mapp bomb post, the torch is mostly safe, its a tool that needs to be inspected from time to time, its not a toy. yours is bent, you will keep using it because it isnt cracked, but will you let the boys use it, probably not. the point of the post was simply to check your mapp torch but alot just laugh it of as what are you worrying about :laugh: :laugh: its never blown up on me :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Watch who your calling an 'old fart' around here young man!!! If your an old fart what does that make many of the rest of us!!! :blink:

We can't all be Spring Chickens! :woohoo:

Blair

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    :laugh:
    You can be late all ya want the only I ever worried about be late was my girlfriend. :woohoo:

Cheers,
    Bordello
    No sense of humor here :silly: :whistle:
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Sometimes its hard for me to express my self in words. I guess what I am trying to say is try to have some respect for one another. My post has nothing to do with the old times or now. Like my signature says Life is to short so cook it up. Have fun in life while you can.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    :whistle:
    As one that is on the down side of the "A" framed ladder I fully agree with you.

Now,back to Lady chasing. :woohoo: While I still can.

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    I understood your post the way it was intended. I've also read all the other post over the last few days, so I know where your coming from. Some people are just going to pick up the top thread and reply without knowing the history. I did not see or read your post as an attack against PBM.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Funny - I just had this (almost) exact conversation with an old Army buddy just yesterday - about how much we missed it and how much fun it was etc. so on.

And then we started remembering sitting on a tarmac in full battle gear in 120* temperatures in Guam, and freezing our gonads off and sleeping in 6" of muddy water. We tend to selectively remember the good and forget about the s**t that had us down.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Blair, I thought you were a pacifist....but if you insist, here are the marshmallows.

Marshmellowshooter.jpg
  • eenie meenie
    Better yet Blair, let's just roast some marshmellows....

RoastingMarshmallows2.jpg
  • Ripnem
    Great idea!

a98dbc18.jpg

or indoors :P just pull the battery out of the smoke detectors :laugh:
    5ef12d31.jpg
  • eenie meenie
    Mmmmmmm Adam even brought stuff for somemores!!!!! :) I even think I see a beer. :laugh:
  • Ripnem
    Guess whos Molsen? :whistle:
  • eenie meenie
    The no show's? B)

edit: I guess that would be the pot calling the kettle black, if it's Little Steven.
  • stike
    thank you. sometimes i start to think it really is me that is confused. hahahaha
  • stike
    i liked that time fishing. and then i remember you guys holding me down with a blanket and beating me senseless with bars of soap in a tubesock.
  • stike
    it's not human psychology. it's that you are an idiot.

:laugh:
  • Grumps
    Grumps Posts: 186
    My apologies, stike. I assumed incorrectly that when you made a post under a topic you were discussing that topic, not another one from days before. Clearly, the problem here is me and not you.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    They weren't no bars of soap in tube socks mister

Steve 

Caledon, ON