Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do welder's gloves come in pink?

Options
chp
chp Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is the BGE as big a "guy" thing as these forum posts indicate? I am getting ready to purchase a large BGE and have always been the grill queen in my family. I am looking forward to seeing the difference in smoking turkeys in the BGE and a regular smoker. Thanks to the link in the forum I am having the table made at a fraction of the costs it would be from the dealer and have compiled a list of what seems to be the necessities to add to the BGE itself. I have not seen any discussions as to temperatures outside the BGE so how does it perform in winter and snow conditions?

Comments

• boston_stoker
    Options
    It is a work horse in the winter.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    chp, Welcome to the forum. Go ahead and get the egg and come back here. There are plenty of female eggheads here fully capable of egging up a storm of food in all kinds of weather. ;)

I must add us male contents do our share as well. :whistle: :evil:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Winter egging is fine. We have lots of Canadian folks here who cook all year long. Also, some of the best eggers here are women (but don't tell them I said that!). Not just a "guy" thing at all.

And as for gloves...

Welding_gloves.jpg

Welcome to the madhouse!! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• MemphisQue
    MemphisQue Posts: 610
    Options
    There was a previous post in the past few days with some folks from Canada who chimed in to say the Egg works fine in extremely cold weather. Lowest I have cooked in was about 10 degrees and noticed no difference. From what I can tell there are quite a few women posters on the forum. Good luck with your egg purchase. You will love it.
  • Egg Master 3000
    Options
    Welcome!

You will see some lady veterans here with years of eggsperience and thousands of posts!

As far as winter cooking is concerned... I am sure the egg than withstand temps better than you ;) But seriously... assuming that you operate the egg properly, It can both get to blazing hot temperatures or hold long low n' slows in the dead of winter.

Good luck with the gloves!
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    chp, Not a bunch of snow in this pic, but it was -20, if I remember right.
    These eggs just chug along, they don't care what temp. it is.
    Just stabilize the target temp. on the calibrated thermometer for 30 minutes or so.

Romeandsomefishys279.jpg
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Cooked a chicken this last week at -30 outside, worked just the same.

Doug
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    GOTTA have those gloves!!!!!
    Please tell me how!!!
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    it was -10*C yesterday and I had steaks cooking at 700 and icicles forming along the bottom of the egg...

I know I know... the no pics rule ;-)

you'll be fine in cold weather.
    context is important :)
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Kari, I just did an image search for welders gloves and scrolled til I found pink ones. Here's the link, but it looks like you'd be ordering direct from China. Didn't even see a price! Do you feel lucky? Do ya? hahaha

http://www.diytrade.com/china/4/products/1466504/Welding_gloves.html

Poke around. You can probably find something a little more "comforting". :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    u guys are SICK!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    How come I can't see your pictures? I've tried numerous times...
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    dunno. try the link in my other post.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. The Egg is a cooking machine regardless of the outside temperature. Most important is learn how to stabilize the cooking temp. What you cook on the egg is only limited by your imagination. I have used my large as an extra oven when the one in the kitchen ran out of room. Enjoy your egg
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    There's always tie dye!!

Welcome to this great group and enjoy your egg!!
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    There are some great gals on here, cooking biker, aka, Molly from Colorado Springs, Desert Oasis Woman, aka Kari from somewhere in Ariz or NM, eenie-meenie, aka Rebbecca from Dayton OH, Florida Grillin'Girl, aka Faith from Tampa-St Pete, Little Chef, Judy Mayberry, Patty0, and many others, so not to worry, they put us guys to shame on a regular basis [It's all in the family :laugh: :cheer: :) ], so join the fun, Welcome Aboard! :woohoo:
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Yep, there are some eggceptional women eggers here. I myself, have egged in 95 degree heat all summer long..... and 28 degrees in winter, though I wasn't too happy!

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your egg and your pink gloves if you can find them!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • 3ggl0ver
    3ggl0ver Posts: 13
    Options
    Well, it's not a great solution if you can't find pink gloves but you can always just use the color replace function on photoshop to easily turn whatever gloves you're wearing into pink ones!
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    if you want nice pink gloves.... get some "krylon"...... has to be krylon.... and spray em with the paint.....it's super flexible and and won't fall off , flake etc..... i sprayed a motorcycle seat with it and it never wore off..... ( it was a yamaha.... and that stupid "yamaha electric blue"....)( people laughed at the fact that i only had the bike one day and painted it camo.... i had the bike for over ten years and never needed to respray the seat, or anything else........ i also painted brown boots, black..... worked great!...give it a try.... a can of spray paint is not too expensive.... plus pink welder's gloves..... are definitely " girly"!..... ray

oh..... might want to spray em white first..... it will make the pink really pop!....
  • ranger ray
    Options
    forgot to mention..... winter does not affect anything cause it hold the heat.... you can't get the same effect with a metal shell.....
  • chp
    Options
    Love those gloves!
  • chp
    Options
    i'm assuming you didn't spray your yamaha pink but relish the image! Thanks for the encouraging words. Can't wait to get grillin!
  • ranger ray
    Options
    no.... i painted it camo...
  • littlecarrots
    Options
    Love the snow photos!
  • BBQPrincess
    Options
    I am Canadian. I am a woman.. and I've had my large EGG chugging away cooking a pulled pork at 250 degrees f. in weather as cold as -30 degree Celsius = -22 degree Fahrenheit. And I've been cooking on the EGG for going on 5 years now here in Ontario.
    And I love my EGG. I gave my gas grill away years ago, the EGG is the only grill I use now.
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    Lots of us female eggers here! I've had mine for 4 years and have loved every minute.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    BBQPrincess, Welcome to the forum. :)

You should start a new post and introduce your self again. Regardless glad your here and can't wait to see some of your cooks. Tim