Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What made you do it...buy a BGE?

Comments

• Impulse buys are fun. This one probably ranks among the best of that type of purchase. Oh, I was told you are the Egg-wing-spert around here...we should talk sometime. I'm hunting for some fresh directions to take our BBQ shop demos.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Rod is good with wings but Dr Zauis is the "Wing King".... ;)
  • Now THAT is dedication. I'm new here, just joined after much chiding from a few well known west coast Eggers.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

It was a gift from my sister and BIL, their nice people! :)

Blair

• Sweet! I'd say you've got a great family.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I don't know about the whole 'expert' thing, but I cook a pretty good wing. I have several different methods/techniques that I use to cater to my audience or mood.

Tangy, crispy, hot, etc. More a combination of stuff I've learned through others here and my own trial and error.
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    I went through 8 or 9 different grills over 25 years or so, couldnt find one that had the versatility or durability I wanted, found the BGE on the internet, then found this forum,a few months later bought 1 large, then another. Been good on cookers ever since!!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    I had enough airline points to get a small shipped to me.
    Then bought a large at Texas Fest a year later.
    The next year I won a mini at Plano Outlaw Gathering....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    A friend told me how great they were. I looked at them, waited a few months went back, got a large. I did not even put it together until 5 days later. I felt guilty about spending that much money on a grill. :ohmy: I got over that! :laugh: :laugh:
    90zmv5.jpg
    2yk0uq1.jpg
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    I can't say it was rational, it was another impulse buy.......Less than three years ago, I was at McMahan's Bottled Gas store to buy two Weber gas grills, one for my mother and another for my sister for Mother's day. Although this place is primarily a propane gas facility with a huge selection of gas cookers, they also have quite a few charcoal cookers.

When I walked towards the entrance they had this big green thing outside the doorway. The aroma was unbelievable. They lifted the lid and there was some gorgeous looking chicken quarters. I asked, "What's that thing?" They said it was an XLG Big Green Egg. One of the employees took off a piece of chicken for me to try. It was delicious. They then confided, that despite being a 'propane' place, the Big Green Egg was their favorite 'grill'. Needless to say, that piqued my curiosity.

I bought the two Weber gassers for my mother and sister and left. I couldn't shake the BGE from my mind. Early the next week I couldn’t stand it any longer. I called the store and asked them to deliver me one....and they did....and I haven't looked back. :)
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I first heard about them from a friend a few years ago. He was always talking them up and saying he was going to go to a fest and buy a used one. I wasn't totally sold on the idea yet. He still hasn't bought one, but envys mine.

I had been complaining to my wife last year about how my offset had to be constantly baby sat to get through long smokes like brisket and butts and even ribs. Well, she has a friend who works at a place that won't be named that sells Eggs and could get it for us at a serious ridiculous employee price. After doing more research, lurking here for a few months and attending the Plano Eggfest this past year I was sold on what a great cooker it was. I figured I would have be stupid to pass up that kind of deal that my wife's friend could get us so we jumped on it. Have loved every moment with it since. We'll actually be tackling some salmon tonight for the first time....or whatever fish looks good at the store.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I would say you recovered very well.
    What a great place to hang out and cook...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    There is NO WAY I would have EVER bought one.Mine was a gift.After learning how to use it,(somewhat), I can see the value in one.I would buy another one now.I do believe the value of the information and helpfulness of the people on this forun FAR outweighs the value of a BGE.Without their support and patience I would probably have went back to my Weber Kettle and grew marigolds in the Egg. :)
  • BBQThom
    BBQThom Posts: 33
    GreenLeafBBQ wrote:
    Today I was reflecting on the rationale I used on myself yo justify that first BGE. What was yours?

Needed a place to burn my wine infused oak wood
  • ShinAmano
    ShinAmano Posts: 90
    Was in the market for a new grill. Saw a friends facebook profile update talking about how he wanted one. Did some research. Found out a friend was a distributor...got hooked up for a price I dare not say since it was more than half off retail. No regrets...now I just need to figure out what to cook this weekend with the bag of Wicked Good I picked up earlier.
  • Had many different cookers and grills over the years, none held up well. The last straw was when using a WSM for a brisket cook, I brushed my leg against accidentally and blistered my leg. With 2 small kids, I started looking for something else immediately. Had heard good things about the Egg and within a few weeks, the WSM was gone, and a shiny Large was in its place.

The Large is gone, but now I've got an XL and a Medium! Who knows what's next
    Large BGE and a couple non-greenies
    Roanoke TX
  • MemphisQue
    MemphisQue Posts: 610
    I had some friends who swore by them and then got a chance to see one in action when my father-in-law bought one. I knew I had to get one. One of the best purchases I have ever made.
  • That's an easy one. I got one because the barbecue in New England is awful.
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    In the early 90's I was in search of the perfect grill. At the time I was using a cast aluminum grill and wanted a new one - couldn't find one, looked everywhere. Finally found a source online - PK Grills. Called and ordered 2! Gave 1 to a friend and still have the other -though I don't use it.

In my search I stumbled upon the BGE. Locally, it was sold at a shoe store and they wheeled it our every Saturday and cooked on the sidewalk. It always smelled so good - but they never offered any taste-tests and weren't that friendly.

Finally, early 1999 I took the plunge. Bought a Large and a table - at the time I just wanted to treat myself. What a treat. I've since married and though I left the large with my sister, knew I had to have another egg. November 2009 my husband gave me a Small for my birthday.

When I bought the first egg - my family thought I had lost my mind. I spend a lot of money, really didn't know much about it other than what I had seen on the internet - had never eaten anything cooked on one, etc. I never gave that a thought - I somehow knew that "this was it". And I was right!

I didn't post on the forum until the middle of 2010 though I lurked almost daily. It has been incredible and I'm so glad I took the plunge. :kiss:
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    My brother had one and when I had a birthday I said that I would like to put some money towards a BGE. That was my first large. After moving I had no space for a couple of years so gave the egg to another brother. Then just bought a large this past fall. I've enjoyed the new spring hinge.
  • My father in law used to make Tksgiving Turkeys on a kamado he brought back from the Philippines. He called it a hibachi. Anyway those turkeys were awesome!! He passed away and I kept smoking turkeys but on a Weber. After a number of Tksgivings and a few of Weber Kettles, I came home early one November w/my first Large BGE.. What a great decision.
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    I think it's fair to say that you got over it. I remember seeing the pics of your outdoor kitchen and thinking "wow" this girl is serious about her eggs....and at the same time really "getting it". :laugh:
  • Prime
    Prime Posts: 52
    I was looking for a grill for the house my wife and I had bought. It was going to be my housewarming present to myself. After stumbling across this site I decided that the BGE had to be mine! I talked about it enough that my wife just told me to go get it before I drove her insane. Found a good deal on a demo large and a table from a local dealer and pulled the trigger.

After I had one and raved about it, my dad got the bug. The whole family pitched in and we got him one for Christmas last year. Just spreading the egg love.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Was looking for a new smoker. My $50 dollar blue light special smoker was falling apart and was in the process of looking for a replacment. Came across some weird looking thing called the Big Green Egg online. Went out on a limb and picked up a large from a local dealer. Nothing like going from a $50 smoker to some pro grill. Go big or go home right? Four months later I had two larges. Go figure.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    Thanks! It is a fun place :)
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    You need to put the daisy wheel on and not the rain cap. That's why your fire went out. :whistle:
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Like Gator, mine was a gift from a family member, my Mother-in-law. And I think the reason for that would be whenever she would be eating my food at friend and family functions she would always hear from my wife and others about how awesome I was at cooking on my buddies grill. Needless to say, now that I have my own it is just getting better.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Super of the moment!
    I had a New Braunfels Smoker that I bought when we lived in New Braunfels. After 20 yrs and three states, retirement was in order. I did my home work and was going to purchase another metal smoker made in Tomball, then I saw the Egg. It was love at first sight and I haven't looked back since.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    What a great place. Showed hubby the pics and he wanted to know what you do with 4 eggs that you cant do with one. I told him 4 times more. When we build our last house I want two eggs in the indoor kitchen and two outside. He shakes his head, but he knows better than to question me. We have been married long enough not to questions each others toys.

His toy: (it fun!)

5495964186_1d2d8d9f00.jpg
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx