Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What made you do it...buy a BGE?

GreenLeafBBQ
GreenLeafBBQ Posts: 63
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today I was reflecting on the rationale I used on myself yo justify that first BGE. What was yours?

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Trying to cook a turkey in a briquette fired Weber at 27 degrees in the wind. Took 9 hours and even then I had to cover the Weber with burlap bags to try to keep it warm. :(
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    My dad had an old clay 'grill' as I called it. I wanted one too.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Because it is:

"The Ultimate Cooking Eggperience"

;):) :P
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • benny
    benny Posts: 109
    I was bbq'n on a "good one" smoker I liked, and judging contests , kept seeing the eggs being used and i asked alot of questions. bought one because of the overall flexiblity and ease of use, and i wouldnt have to babysit it all night doing a few butts or a brisket.

...ask me why i just bought another one... (first was an large, picking up a XL at waldorf)....I need more room and dont like firing up the old ironside smoker.....

I am bring back four XL from waldorf! (three for friends)...
    anyone needing a ticket ill make a deal on three extra! email me
  • ewjd
    ewjd Posts: 21
    It was this forum that sealed the deal for me. I had just built a new house and was planning a deck when a friend of mined suggested NO MORE GASSERS --go charcoal.
    When researching I ran accross the BGE but it was on the forum where I read "the best BBQ comes from my own backyard" and I realized that manu of U were from real BBQ country. What more validation did I need, so I took the plunge and now I can say that some of the best damn Que comes from my own backyard.
    Thanks to the forum!!!!

Ed
  • I tasted some of the foods coming off of eggs owned by family members. I had to have one myself.
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    I was wandering through a BBQ Galore many years ago (10? 12? More? - I honestly don't know) looking to see what they had in the way of charcoal grills. I was listening to another customer get a sales pitch from one of the Salesman about a very high dollar gas grill. The Salesman said something to the effect that, while the gasser was "great", if the only issue was how good the food was, the BGE was the way to go. I went home and started looking into them. Found out about the versatility of it, and purchased one a couple of months later.
    One of the best decisions I ever made. B)
    South SLO County
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Gasser died,, I had lusted for a Komodo 5 years ago. I didn't want to repalce a 400-500 grill again in 5 years. so. i bought one my grand kids will get.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• was going to my first BBQ comp 9 years ago....met Mr. Earl (our teammate) and he had an egg . . then met the dizzy boys (nature boy, woodoggies and hatch) .. .it was more about the type of people they were and the cooking experience they were having and i said "these are my kind of people. ... i want to cook on what they are cooking on" ....never had a regret, either about the cooker, or the new friends!!!
  • I needed a new grill 15 years ago, and with a 1 year old, I was worried about him running up and touching the side of a gas grill when I was trying to cook. I accidently found my solution when I attended a home show and saw an egg display. The salesperson told me the egg does not get hot to the touch like a gas grill, so that was what sold me on it. I knew the ceramic concept was a great idea, so I bought it the very next day, never having seen one before, or tasted any food cooked on it. They were offering a 10% discount on the $399 price for a large.

Got it home and started egging and never looked back.

I only found this forum 2 1/2 years ago, and I was pi$$ed when I discovered all that I was missing here. Needless to say, I had that one large egg all that time, and since I found the forum, now I have 5 more! And most of my friends have them, too!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • OMG Eggs
    OMG Eggs Posts: 118
    A few things for me... I was tired of shelling out a few hundred bucks every 3 years or so on a new bbq. I was tired of being chained to the bbq on slow cooks. And flexibility/awesomeness.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Ribs.

I'd been trying for about 20 years to match the quality of ribs I could get from the best BBQ pit in town. I finally started getting frustrated after about 15 years. I tried a vertical water smoker. The results were good, but not quite good enough. I read around, and decided I needed an off-set drum cooker. In the town where I live, every few years, I'll run across someone making them at home, and selling 'em pretty cheap. And, I'd had some really excellent ribs from them. However, after 2 years of driving around, and not seeing any, I decided to shop online. The least expensive I could find were self assembled at $600. I had heard about "ceramic cookers", and it seemed those might also do the trick. I found a BGE dealer in the next town. Went over, was made an offer of a medium for $500, with nest thrown in. Seemed like a good deal.

!It was a great deal! Matched the BBQ joints ribs within 3 months, bettered them in a year.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    I just kept seeing a postage-stamp size ad in the newspaper saying "Big Green Egg - World's Best Smoker and Grill" and had to have one.

Never saw one until I purchased it and didn't have a clue as to how it worked. But I got a bag of BGE lump with it and took it from there, with disasterous results, I might add.

I think this is my second cook on it back in 1999.

Leroycooking2-1.jpg

I've advanced some since then.

Spring "Still Learning After All These Years" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    i was looking to replace a kettle grill and there was an egg next to one. looked like a better kettle grill :) the ultimate kettle grill experience :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    As a former banker I can attest that you can't take your money with you...'nuff said. :laugh:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • vidalia1
    Leroy is that BGE on a wooden deck??? Don't you know the danger involved??? LOL :woohoo: :lol: :silly:
  • vidalia1
    Backatcha.... ;)B):) :P
  • My gasser was on its last leg :blush: I wanted something that could smoke, so I went up to my local Barbecue store and they had samples off of the egg. I continued to go there every Saturday (when they cooked on it) for samples. I had never heard of one before but fell in love with it. It was perfect, because it didn't take so long to fine tool like the big old metal smokers and it was so much more versatile. Needless to say, I have been very happy and surprised that it could do so much. :)
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I purchased my first XL before ever seeing an XL or seeing any Egg in action.
    I did stumble into the Texas Eggfest just after my purchase and learned a bunch before I did my first cook. My good luck put me under some great feathered friends. Your right, Chubby was there, could have gone to the dark side...Would have been bad.
    I would have fun cooking on any grill but the network of friends I have made are priceless from the Egg....
    Sure miss Picnic Lump
    DSCN0421.jpg
    A little air to get things started.
    DSCN0426.jpg
    My first of "many" Ceramic Grill Store pieces. XL Woo with plate setter jammed in the middle.
    DSCN0420.jpg
    Two butts and a brisket over night
    DSCN0431.jpg
    Chased with ribs and wings and then two birds. Over 30 hours on one XL batch of lump
    DSCN0440.jpg
    DSCN0449.jpg
    DSCN0454.jpg
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Impulse buy. They had one set up by the checkout stand at the Piggly Wiggly so I just tossed it in the buggy.
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    i wanted to beable to make the best ribs,chicken,pork butt,brisket,burgers,beans and everything else in town :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
  • Jer_inva
    Jer_inva Posts: 109
    I thought I wanted to use a pellet grill, so bought a used ont. After a few cooks and burning the @#%@ out of my Thanksgiving turkey decided a pellet grill wasn't for me. Went searching around, found this forum, did some research and wife bought me a large with accessories for my birthday. She's a keeper for sure.
    I know own a large and a mini. Really enjoy the food we get off it. I have a great smoker that I use for my long and slow butts/briskets. Will do one on the egg just to say I did, but won't be ridding myself of my smoker because it also is a set-it and forget-it unit that everyone raves about what comes out if it. Jer
  • Wish I were closer! Thanks for chiming in.
  • My thoughts exactly - Friends and BBQ. What can be better.
  • Wow, you've got quite a nice Eggstory! Isn't it funny how we become SO passionate and share our BGE successes with others. Have a great day!
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Found this site 15 years ago
    Been lurking and learning till I was finally able to get my Egg 8 months ago. :woohoo: :woohoo:
    It's been a wild ride :evil:

Shane
  • Great Pic - Such enthusiasm!
  • Awesome. So true.
  • beerguy
    beerguy Posts: 116
    My Broilmaster gas grill finally gave up the ghost. I lifted the side handle to move it off the deck and it pulled right through the cast aluminum. I bought an XL BGE the same week, even though the Broilmaster's aluminum housing had a liftime warranty and was replaced at n/c. It's now at work and I am still excited every time I fire up the BGE!