Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lodge cast iron cookware

kilo
kilo Posts: 77
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Where can you get good cast iron cookware besides ordering on the web. I see Lodge refered to a lot, is it the way to go? Also what size and what pieces are most useful? I have a small and large egg and would like to do stews, chili, TREX steaks, anything else that is fun.[p]Thanks!

Comments

• kilo,
    Wal*Mart carries some Lodge stuff. Many hardware stores carry Lodge cast iron too.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • kilo
    kilo Posts: 77
    The Naked Whiz,
    Thanks! How large can you go on the small for a dutch oven or pot for doing chili without ruining your air flow? 10" to 11" ?[p]Thanks again!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    kilo,
    Like Whiz sez, you can get lodge at a lot of places. By your description it sounds like the most useful for you would be a dutch oven. I have a smaller one and a 5 qt I believe. You also might want the griling pan without the handle...not sure what they call it. Several folks who post here have one that they sear steaks on.[p]The stuff is very inexpensive, so since you are gonna be seasoning at least one piece, I say get a few pans for the kitchen as well. A well seasoned small and large frypan, and even the giant frypan with the helper handle, are great things to have in your kitchen.[p]Happy CI cookin!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Nature Boy,
    Yea I love my giant fryer with the helping hand. I only use it for frying chicken (which is as good as anything on the Egg, note I said as good as, not better than...lol)and for cornbread.[p]If anyone else touches my pan around here, they know they might pull their arm back minus a hand or some fingers depending on how fast they are.[p]I can't find any of my other cast iron, so I'll be rebuilding that collection again pretty soon.

• kilo,[p]See if you got a Do It Best Hardware nearby...they have em, and even if they are not in stock they will get one delivered to the store near you and you don't pay shipping.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    kilo, Lodge has a factory outlet store in Commerce GA about 60 miles north of Atlanta on I-85 (Exit 149). Both of the kitchen supply store there also carry Lodge. However, virtually every hardware store carries Lodge.

• kilo,yea, Lodge has three outlet discount stores, Commerce, Ga. South Pittsbug, Tenn (near Chattanooga), and Exit 407 near Knoxville, Tenn. They do make better cast iron than anyone, good product, thicker cast iron, holds heat better, no hot spots with the thicker castings. Check the Lodge web site...Smoked BGE chili is AWESOME !!! Leave the lid off to get the Eggs smoked flavor in your dutch oven chili... stand back when the family rushes the pot for seconds !!

• kilo,
    I use the 5Qt. dutch oven to make brunswick stew - and it's great! I bought it on Amazon because they were having a HUGE sale at the time. However, I bought all my other Lodge pieces at Wal-mart.[p]Here's the link to their site which will give you a good idea of the different pieces they carry.[p]IMHO great product with great prices.[p]Molly

[ul][li]Lodge Stie[/ul]
  • haywyre
    haywyre Posts: 165
    917476.jpg
    <p />kilo,
    I know Cabelas and Bass Outdoors both carry there Name Branded stuff over the on the bottom of the Lodge Cookware. You can also find it ant your local Cracker Barrel. Its Lodge but has the Cracker Barrel Logo on the bottom. Most of these types are all preseasoned as well.

[ul][li]Lodge at Cracker Barrel[/ul]