Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate Setter?

Anthony Up North
Anthony Up North Posts: 205
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today I called up the dealer in St.Paul, MN. where I bought my BGE a mere 11 days ago. After reading Tim M.'s Posts and viewing his fascinating Home Page, I decided to buy a "ceramic plate setter." The dealer hadn't heard of this gadget. Tomorrow he is going to call the BGE home office to find out. [p]Also I noticed it is not listed in the book that came with the BGE along with all the other accessories. [p]So where to buy it, and what is the cost???? Sounds like a very useful tool!! Can anyone give some details here? Thanks a ton.[p]Anthony Up North?
[p]

Comments

• AbqEgg'r
    AbqEgg'r Posts: 91
    Anthony Up North?,
    I purchased two plate setters from BGE, they just arrived today. You are correct, they are not listed in their price list. The lady I ordered from was very rushed and went to hang up without telling me what the cost was. I believe she quoted $29.95 each. They are heavy so the handling and shipping is a bunch. My total for two with shipping to New Mexico was $83.96. I think I'm in the wrong business:)[p]TR

• AbqEgg'r
    Anthony Up North,
    Decided to open the box. Aparently the stock/item number is PS14 and it is for the Large Egg only. One had a broken leg, I'd read this is a problem..better to have your local dealer get one if he can.[p]TR[p]

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    AbqEgg'r, see if BGE will give you a credit on your charge card for the broken one. If they don't want it returned, then break off the other two legs and use it for a pizza stone. Or if you think the value is there, forget the refund and use it. It will work fine for a pizza stone extra. I used some furnace cement to stick mine back together but have knocked it loose again. Thought I had it whipped. One more time for the repair and then its a pizza stone also...:-)
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• AbqEgg'r
    Char-Woody,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I do want the legs, but could use another pizza stone too. I would think UPS will cover the damage, but who knows.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    AbqEgg'r,[p]I can guess who the lady was, but BGE really doesn't like to sell the setter because of the trouble to ship without the UPS guys breaking them so often. They once told me that they will ship one "if" you order something else too - I guess they want to box it in a larger than needed box along with other things to help protect it.They have shipped me 3 now and all 3 made it fine. The setter is useful but not manditory. 5 firebricks do just as well and are easier to get.[p]Tim
  • Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    Char-Woody,
    I gave up on glueing mine together too - it breaks in the heat. Not worth the trouble and firebricks still work fine.[p]Mary

• AbqEgg'r
    Tim M,
    They did a good job on the packaging-each setter was in it's own box surrounded by styro. Either it was broken before it was shipped, or they left enough room for these two boxes to move around and bang into each other. If I need anymore I guess I'll try to have local dealer order one. Unfortunately we get the "Gee, I've never heard of that" out here too.[p]TR

• Anthony Up North?,[p]I stopped in the store today to pick up a pizza stone and the owner asked if I heard of the plate setter. I said yes and that I had suggested that they order them last winter so that I could purchase one. He said he would order them with his next Egg order. I call them in a couple of weeks to see if they have them in...[p]Larry