Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are the must have EGGcessories?

Ottersrylee
Ottersrylee Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I pick up my egg tomorrow, and hopefully I can get its table built too. What are some of the must have EGGcessories to kick things off with and have some successful first cooks?

Comments

• asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    Plate setter and ash tool are the only ones I own (unless you count a DigiQ). I use a garden trowel to stir the charcoal around to knock the ashes off.
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    a weed burner to get the fire started quickly....... rr
  • WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    A pizza stone if you intend to do pizzas or bake bread.
    The cast iron cooking grid if you are inclined to sear steaks, not a necessity, but a nice addition.
  • Pjoe
    Pjoe Posts: 224
    Plate setter and some way to do a raised grid.

Bill
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    A thermapen or some other type of instant read thermometer and some type of raised grid.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Have platesetter and not much used.
    If I did over would just save the $$$ and use it for a spyder and adj rig. Like the small pizza stone for the spyder (no need of the platesetter) and like the large stone.
    The must item is a thermapen.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I'll add another vote for something to raise the grid. The platesetter inverted will work, but that turns the Egg into something more like an oven. Not very good for burgers, brat, chicken pieces, etc. BGE make a grill extender, and the ceramicgrillstore.com offers a much more adaptable set of rigs. The cheapest and easiest thing to do is to buy 3 fire brick splits, and place them on edge on the fire ring. If using that set up, find a spare grill for some other cooker, and place that on top so you can have a drip pan on the BGE grill.

The prevailing rule is that foods should be cooked to temperature, not by time, so you will want a thermometer. The Thermapen, tho' pricey, is a wonderful tool, and is useful in all manner of cooking.

Down the road, there are any number of add ons you will want. Cast iron cooking pots and pans, rib racks, nice tongs, etc. etc.
  • Garnerac
    Garnerac Posts: 134
    My Must Have's

Plate Setter goes without saying.
    ThermaPen
    Spider/Adjustable Rig Combo
    Small Pizza Stone to use as a PlateSetter in the Spider
    Regular Pizza Stone
    Pear Burner from Harbor Freight with ignitor
  • GregM
    GregM Posts: 18
    I have only had my Egg for six months, so take this as a less informed view. But the adjustable rig package from cereamic grill store really added a new dimension to my cooking. I can use the spider to sear duck breast on the fatty side and then finish it high up. Same with steaks. The adjustments also help with Salmon, it cooks better higher up, but a little time spent lower is good(I can even cook the skin off Japanese style) etc.

It also helps with cooking sides at the same time as the main course. I had been thinking I needed a second Egg to get different temps, but the different levels get me the same effect (I still want a second Egg, but I don't have as good of a reason).

To really make it work, you need to get the small CI grid also (for the spider). But it is worth it.

Enjoy.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    really. just a match to light it.

i might make a raised grid, but you can also raise the grid by putting some bricks around the rim and putting the grid on that. the bricks also work as an indirect barrier. you can put them on the grid to block the direct heat of the fire, and then cook the food on an elevated grid over that.

you should be able to find an 18" weber replacement coal grate at your hardware store. buy some bolts (3 or 4) and washers, and you can quickly fabricate a raised grid yourself.

here's a shot of mine.
    on_thr_fire.jpg

at far left you can see a carriage bolt pushed thru the grid and secured with washers on each side and a nut on the underside. i made a 'foot' for each bolt as well, using a nut/washer/nut combination. can't quite see the foot, but it helps the thing sit atp the other grid. good for doing chicken or fish raised direct (heat is less harsh), and for, in this case, paella
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Ottersrylee wrote:
    I pick up my egg tomorrow, and hopefully I can get its table built too. What are some of the must have EGGcessories to kick things off with and have some successful first cooks?

Ottersrylee, I know you are asking about eggcessories but, first consider placing your egg in your table using a concrete paver stone and the green feet provided with the egg. Doing so provides a heat barrier and air gap that will prevent the wood on your table from scorching or worse. Tim :)

I got the plate setter and cast iron grid and large baking stone when I first got my egg. I got a cheap meat thermometer and eventually purchased my go to thermometer the splash proof instant read thermapen by ThermoWorks.com. I also purchased a cheap remote digital thermometer and eventually got the Maverick ET-73. Now Maverick has an upgraded ET-732. Because I had the two food grids I could make a raised grid for direct grilling by first one grid on the fire ring then a few bricks and the other grid. That puts your food further from the heat source. Great for grilling chicken parts unless your grilling so many chicken parts you need a drip pan. Then you will want to cook indirect and or use a drip pan. I eventually went to the ceramicgrillstore.com and got the rig and all it's accessories.... :laugh:

Fun ain't it? :woohoo:
  • A must have. The ability to upload photos for us all to see your fabulous cooks :)

Some nice to haves: instant read thermometer, something to raise the grid and spices.
  • berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    These are the only things I use on nearly every cook...

1. Thermapen - there is no substitute.
    2. Adjustable rig/spider/pizza stone combo
    3. MAPP torch or electric starter, depending on time
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    First smart thing you’ve said in quite some time. I’d add that if you think about what you want to accomplish, the ‘how I get there’ part will then present itself.
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • stike
    you must be replying in flat view, because you sound like an idiot.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    that's simply the natural blow-back from acknowledging you made 1/2 a good point
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    I would recommend a plate-setter....but more than that I would say "frequent this forum" - it really the best eggcessory I've found! :laugh: :woohoo: :silly:
  • stike
    go blow-back yourself.

why not post a pic of one of those potholders smothered in jarred Ragu that you call a pizza. I am out of here.
  • 2Fategghead
    Good point lizzard. You got full range in the knee yet? :)
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    The list just gets bigger... It's like asking "I'm buying a car, what do I need".... Nice rims, 2 sets of tires, dingle-balls, fancy gear-shift handle, Mothers polish and wax, 1000w stereo... oh yeah....gas and insurance wouldn't hurt!!

I don't understand bare minimalists - The way I see it, If I am enjoying what I do and I use the stuff I acquire to augment and excite my hobby, then it was worth acquiring! Not everything needs to be bought though. Many items you can make yourself**.

Things I use regularly, though not in any particular order:

1 Platesetter
    2 Thermapen
    3 **Ash tool (home made) and dustpan or ash pan to collect the ash that you drag out.
    4 Mapp torch (but really any method to start the fire)
    5 Good quality Lump charcoal
    6 **Table, but a Nest is fine too
    7 Welders gloves
    8 remote temp thermometer (polder, maverick, etc.)
    9 **A way to raise the grid (I use firebricks on edge...so far)
    10 **Grid scraper/cleaner
    11 **Weather cover

Some of the items I made
    IMG00211-20110301-0726.jpg
  • stike
    BigBadger wrote:
    The list just gets bigger... It's like asking "I'm buying a car, what do I need".... Nice rims, 2 sets of tires, dingle-balls, fancy gear-shift handle, Mothers polish and wax, 1000w stereo... oh yeah....gas and insurance wouldn't hurt!!

i know you don't understand the minimalists, but i can see that much of the misunderstanding likely comes down to our own definitions of must-have". in your list above, only the tires are "must-have"
  • BigBadger
    Can't imagine driving to work without gas, insurance, winter tires (this time of year) and no music! Sure you can get by without music... but really, who wants to just 'get by'? ;) But enough with the analogy. I'm all for using and having whatever you need to get the job done right, safely and have a good time doing so.... I forgot #12 - Beer. B)
  • stike
    just to conflate your two lists...., you are saying that those who don't have hanging dice are getting less from their BGE than you.

not sure that's the case. :laugh:
  • BigBadger
    Well the BGE is supposed to be the Worlds Best Smoker... and I said dingle balls not fuzzy dice B)B)

CheechAndChong-UpInSmoke-CarWithFringe.jpg;)
  • stike
    i don't like balls hanging so close to my face. but hey, whatever floats yer boat :laugh:
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Just north of 90 degrees (which they say is functional, and doctor was very pleased as this is 2 weeks post op). 120 is the goal - I'll get there. Thanks! :kiss: I'm walking on sunshine!
  • MemphisQue
    MemphisQue Posts: 610
    Looks like you'll be busy shopping with this list.
  • 2Fategghead
    Good for you. ;) Keep walking on sunshine and you will get there quicker. :laugh:
  • Capt. Rich
    Capt. Rich Posts: 153
    Place Setter, and adjustable rig & spider from the Ceramic Grill Store. Do not get the grill extender from BGE, the one with the center pool, it's worthless. Just my thoughts
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Nice job on that fusion weld man...I've tried a couple of those using grade 316 banding. Pretty tricky.

DSC01565b.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery