Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

5llb brisket

Options
Metalhead
Metalhead Posts: 668
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
gots me a 5llb brisket on the large. Seasoned it yesterday with garlic/onion powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, parsley flakes, hickory smoked salt, and liquid smoke.

Thinking about serving it up with farm fresh green beans and baked sliced potatoes with onion. Wish me luck on the way the meat turns out, has been a long time since I did a brisket.

Of course dinner would not be complete without a drink or 2. Got margaritas and beer on the ready. CHEERS to all :side:

Comments

• BBQThom
    Options
    Looking forward to hearing/ seeing the results
  • Metalhead
    Options
    the brisket did not turn out as eggspected. It cooked alot faster than I wanted. my neighbor(who knows no better) thought it turned out fine. I thought it tasted like a piece of leather that has been used to remove dirt off coal miners ' boots for a hundred years. Oh the pallet of an egger verse a non-egger. Alas, I will have many more chances to prove myself. Thanks for the support.....Jan
  • TulsaMurph
    Options
    Briskets sure can be awesome, or drive you crazy. I have had some good results, but some better than others for sure. How about a few points on what and how? Was it Choice or Select meat? What was your dome temp? Whole brisket, or just the flat? Fat side up, or down? Weight? Cook time? Anything you might want to share makes the next great eggsperiment that much better!

John
  • Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    Options
    I don't know about the meat quality. My neighbors mom passed (at 90) and he saw the meat in her freezer and volunteered me to cook it. It was about 5 llbs and I seasoned it the day b4. I cooked it with the platesetter, feet up and the grid atop that. I put the meat fat side up and cooked with a dome temp of 300. I let it reach a temp of 173 and then I pulled and wrapped it in foil and then put it back on the grid til it reached 200. I really think that it just cooked a little too fast. I was shooting for a pulled beef type of product. Oh well....this only gives me an idea
    to do another one soon.

My meat description might have been a tad hard. It was edible, just not what I eggspect from Reggie.....my lrg BGE. :P

P.s. I think it was just the flat
  • Helluva Engineer
    Options
    Here is a little post I did on a 5lb brisket. I did not foil mine and pulled it off a little before 200º. It cooked for nearly 15 hours and spent a good amount of time in the plateau.