Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cart for my Mini Egg

Options
Judy Mayberry
Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was inspired by a photo bobinaz posted a few years ago of his custom-fitted stainless steel cart for his Small Egg. I kept a copy of it for future reference, and the future is now!

It took a lot of looking, but I found the perfect cart at Costco online, and whaddaya know, it's exactly the same cart Bob used!

Here are some pictures of my son-in-law Mike cutting the hole and finishing off the sharp edges of the shelf and the trivet (the part he cut out). I'm going out to buy a steak as soon as this is posted.

Mike used some kind of tool with a wheel to cut out the hole.
DSC01559.jpg

He smoothed off the sharp edges of the wire on the top shelf with a Dremel. I'm going to dab clear silicone on the wire ends so anyone unaware of them won't get slashed.
DSC01562.jpg

He smoothed the edges of the trivet.
DSC01563.jpg

And here is the new nest. I have to figure out the storage possibilities for the bottom shelf. ANY SUGGESTIONS WELCOME!
DSC01564.jpg
Judy in San Diego

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    Looks great Judy, trying to convince myself to take the plunge on a mini, or a small, or a medium. The Large needs a little brother. ;)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Sweet Judy!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Scott:

The Mini is a GREAT fuel saver for me, as I only cook for one most of the time. For eight years I used the Small Egg and that was a big fuel savings over the Large that I started with. If you're going to cook for two or more occasionally, definitely get the Small.

I'm not going to take the Mini camping or tailgating, so portability is not an issue...that sucker is very awkward to lift by hand because there are no good handholds with a lid that doesn't lock shut.

The Small is more versatile because there is plenty of room for a raised grid and it's easily controlled for low and slow. I'm not good at controlling the Mini yet (only had it a few weeks) but it's great for single meals.

BTW, are you really S.B. Jr, or a sports agent? Or you'd like to be one? A-Rod is such a cutie!
    Judy in San Diego
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Wish I actually was Scott Boras Jr. I wouldn't have to worry about money for buying my Eggs then. :laugh: Just a guy who wishes he could be a sports agent. Sorry, no in roads with A-Rod, ;). Most of the time it is just me, the wife and one 5 year old, so I'm thinking a small or a medium might save me alot of fuel.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Very nice ;)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BigGreenGregg
    Options
    Very cool Judy!!!
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Very nice digs for your mini!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    I like. May borrow your ideas for my small. Thanks for the pics and instructions.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Primeggister1
    Options
    Nice! That's a quick alternative for a table, beats building one from scratch.
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    :) Nice table! Your son-in-law did a great job, and I'm sure you'll find a use for the bottom shelf - maybe some plastic bins??
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    Nice!
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I think you will enjoy that, Judy. That was a nice job your son in law did.

I bought the same one, left off the wheels, and added a green marble top.

CIMG3501.jpg
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Faith, you did a beautiful job. It is a quality piece of steel, I have to say. You have a ready-made buffet table...it is really beautiful.

Will you be at the Sunshine State Fest? I'm looking forward to that.
    Judy in San Diego
  • bobinaz
    Options
    Hey Judy... a very nice finished product! What a great guy your son-in-law is to make that for you.
    Happy cooking!